Would the Hifiman Aryas be good headphones for gaming and listening to music? I’m thinking about upgrading my setup

I mean, it’s even with amps in this hobby though. Say what you want about THX and yes, even I am against them I do think they are anemic and I definitely believe they brighten up headphones which is awful for already bright sounding headphones, though I do think they aren’t necessarily bad and in some headphones I do think they are very good amps with a hell of a lot of fantastic reviews to back them up.

Even in the case of OP here having a lot of money, I would like to think they would prefer to have just that one or two headphones set to the side that will suit them personally. The best way to do that is to just dial it back sit and think do some research and try the cheaper ended headphones just to start with. While you don’t have to start at like $100 or whatever especially if you have a much higher budget you could start in the $300 - $400 which is a very respectable area of budget and you will find some fantastic headphones there with incredible sound the same can be sound about amps and dacs in that same price range.

2 Likes

I think you’ve been clear on all of that, and make a good case. I respect your subjectivity and I respect your way of skinning a cat.
I think there are others, both.

Here, it’s mainly because the Aryas are neutral-bright, and the THX amp is bright, too. He’d hear grain, or sibilance, or annoying high frequencies all the time. It’s all about pairing, and this is not a good pairing.

If you look at all the THX Dac/Amp combos there is, all the combos sold are Dacs with AKM chipsets (smooth high frequencies). None are “THX amp + ESS dac” combos (ESS dacs are, apparently, “brighter” or more… unforgiving). It might just be a coincidence. But you just don’t pair an unforgiving DAC with an unforgiving amp – for the same reason you don’t pair an unforgiving amp with an unforgiving pair of headphones (you could say neutral-bright headphones are “unforgiving”).

Me? My preferred headphones got laid-back treble. So I’m interested in the THX One (unavailable for now – “in the works”).

TL,DR: If you want to make your enemy suffer, tell him to buy an “endgame” SMSL SU-8 with ESS chipsets, a THX 789 “endgame” amp, and neutral-bright “endgame” Hifiman Aryas.

3 Likes

arya? Good sir I think you are mistaken the true end game is of course the T90 paired to a THX amp for sure this is the ultimate combo. I am kidding please for the love of everything you hold dear in your hearing never ever do this… ever

2 Likes

I totally hear you. And what you’re saying comports with Falenkor’s opinion, well-states on both of your cases.

• It’s possible the Arya would reveal the problems with a THX amp to me; but …
  • It’s possible they younger ears than mine (which hear above 15k better) are better at hearing this harshness/sharpness etc
  • I myself would rather have the Topping A90 than any THX right now ; also think the super inexpensive JDS Labs Atom and probably some of the more recent Geshelli and Schiit super budget amps are as good/better way cheaper if only concerned with single-ended connections… but I am leaning what others complain is “overly analytical” in all of this, I suppose.

I also think there’s a LOT of talk on these forums that matches what you guys are saying.

But also… There’s a strong minority voice that thinks that THX — or in my case, at least the Monolith 887 — is getting a bad rap with the harsh/clinical/etc talk. Just wanted to put in a dissenting opinion about that. I’m not claiming it’s the ideal choice. I also think that where the headphone journey starts, precisely, isn’t necessarily super vital… no matter whet newbie “end-game aspirations,” more gear will be acquired, lol. From there, tastes/preferences and prejudices will be refined.

I think it’s honorable to try to save money for newbs who are asking too. I’m just not sure it’s possible in the long, or medium, run.

1 Like

THX marketed their stuff as AAA, which means “achromatic”. Which means, well, the famous “wire with gain” audiophile dream. Pure hype. But it’s just their way of doing it. Not the only way. Just look at Class A amps, for example.

More info here:

I think the biggest issue with thx that I have is that it’s not 100 bucks, as imo the atom goes for a similar sonic goal yet imo outperforms thx in actual sound to the ear, it’s a more analytical and is a more objective leaning amp, but it doesn’t lean as far as thx does where you sacrifice fidelity, the atom does what the thx tries to do sound wise better to my ear, really makes me question why you would go with a thx amp when the atom (or the heresy if you want more power, archel 2.5 pro as well) exist for 1/4-1/3 the price of the thx amps. The price realm the thx competes in really pits it against amps that are just better to my ear imo to where it doesn’t make sense to buy thx at that price point. Even with the new thx one coming out, I think it really needs a price drop to be competitive

1 Like

Agree on pricing, which has slid all over the place since the first introduction of the THX 789. Versatility with the “balanced” (pseudo balanced) option for input and output both, and the lowest gain for more sensitive IEMs may be worth the price difference from some of the excellent cheaper items. May not.

Single ended, totally with you on the JDS Labs Atom.

The rest is all repetition…

1 Like

There are some people here (including myself) who do like their THX amps lol. Though it’s not my favorite amp and I wouldn’t recommend one as anyone’s first real amp. But if you’re an enthusiast who would own a lot of gear regardless, I’d say it’s worth trying one out.

What amp would you recommend in the 500-1000$ price range? for someone’s first amp. That would sound good with the Aryas

I hear the Liquid Platinum is a good option. Or, if you could get a used Violectric V280 that would be even better.

Wouldn’t it sound weird having a tube preamp connected to a tube amp if I got a liquid platinum? For when I listen to my records.

The violectric is 1,600$. Shouldn’t I start with something a bit cheaper for the amp? Something maybe 500-1000$

That is new, someone has talked me into almost never going new anymore for expensive audio equipment. The V280 was up on Drop recently for $1,200 new, so I am sure you could probably find someone out there selling used for $1k or a little under. If you could that would be the best purchase.

Going to be honest, I don’t deal with tube amps as of current, only solid states, but have heard the liquid platinum runs great with the Arya’s even if there is a tube pre-amp before it, as it is a hybrid Amp, part solid, state part tube. So shouldn’t be an issue.

RS-08, or any of the cheaper variants.

Lake People is the budget line of violectric

I don’t own the Arya, so it’s hard to give a tailored recommendation. For $500, the RNHP is always a safe choice. A lot people love the Rebel Amp as well at $500.

If you get the liquid platinum, you have to run it balanced out exclusively for it to be worth using. So keep that in mind.

Are you looking for something closer to a $1000 or $500?

1 Like

The advantage in gaming of something more along the lines of a Vio V280/281/200, Lake People G111/G109/G103/RS-08, or RNHP is also that they tend to be regarded as better than most at spacial recreation in addition to being a better pairing with a neutral bright headphone such as an Arya. I say this with a non-gamer predisposition, but thought it worth mentioning anyway.

1 Like

Closer to 500$. Would the Topping A90 amp be a good choice to use with the Aryas with the RME ADI-2 dac?

It depends who you ask lol. I’ve seen a couple professional reviews where it was 100% recommended (like here) while our resident expert M0N thought it wasn’t worth $500 based its subjective performance. I’m more inclined to go with M0N because I don’t have ears like a lot of the reviewers. Do you think you want a super neutral/analytical sound? That’s what your getting with the ADI-2 and A90 combo. The Arya’s are considered to be on the brighter side, so I imagine most people here would steer you away from that combo.

What 500$ solid state amp would you recommend over the A90 than? Apparently 6-7 of Zeo’s patreons think the A90 is great. What’s wrong with combining a neutral sounding amp and dac with bright sounding headphones anyway?

as mentioned earlier, i think people would generally recommend RNHP, rebel amp, and gilmore lite mk 2

1 Like