1 Album to Sell me on your Favorite Artist (Group)

It was extremely difficult not to list Permanent Waves. Like I was saying to @Ohmboy , With a catalog such as theirs, it’s hard to choose. Sometimes it is fun to do a run through each evolution from the beginning, to when they started to use more keyboards and such to the point where they moved on from that. I seem to play the music from the late 80’s - 90’s the most. My first exposure to Rush was the 2112 album. Then I heard “All the World’s a Stage” and I was hooked. First show was Rush/Ted Nugent at Winterland in San Francisco in 1976. The beauty of Rush was that they were so good live. And everybody knows all the words to every song! A Rush show was a great night out.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as one favourite artist to me so please excuse several posts :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
1 Like

post deleted by author

Kyuss the unmatched Stoner Rock band.

One of my most played albums

2 Likes

I love The Flashbulb (Benn Jordan) I think this is one of his best albums

1 Like

Ya, 2112 is the only album of theirs I’ve heard cover to cover, although their discography (along with Yes’ catalog) would be worth a dedicated chronological listening session.

I’ve been in a stale mood music wise and need new sounds hence this thread, so perhaps it’s time to dive into my prog rock classics there with Rush and Yes. Good recs here all around my list has expanded greatly!

1 Like

This is a good album I have one song saved from it, but I love me some dub/reggae styles as well.

1 Like

When I first got into streaming music services like Spotify, that was what I did for my serious listening sessions. I would pick an artist that I wanted to know better, and usually read some of their history while listening.

I have learned a bunch of odd music trivia as a result. Santana had tons of famous musical talent leave his band, including Neil Schon and Gregg Rolie. That led me to check out Journey, only to discover they were a progressive rock band for their first few albums.

2 Likes

Nightwish! The best symphonic rock band you’ve never heard of.
Dark Chest of Wonders (Live, at Wacken, 2013) - YouTube

3 Likes

Right!?! I know we’re past the days of reading the back of vinyl album covers, but some bands don’t even have a full bio in their about section on platforms. I want to get to know a band and it says “music for your mom’s house” or something short or humorous that doesn’t give me any insight into their branding, arrangement, style, etc.
I like reading music publications, anything from Rolling Stone to Pitchfork, for my trivia learning. It’s cool learning how much musicians put others on though- Miles Davis with Coltrane, Bill Evans, Gil Evans- artists are the best kingmakers sometimes.

1 Like