11/11 best products

there is a new firmware/filter update: 5.3c with “GTO-Filter”
it´s out for a few months and I could not decide to install it to my ifi xDSD, cause love the DAC as it is
saw today a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzzU-W2QqQg&t=879s
about the Zen DAC

he seems quite happy with the change from standard firmware/filter to the 5.3c GTO

Huh, I thought it wasn’t available for the xdsd, will have to try it out

https://ifi-audio.com/downloads/ please check it out yourself - not really sure about the facts

I have tried the Gibbs Transient Optimized on the pro idsd and it was pretty sweet, an improvement imo if you like a bit more color

1 Like

" iFi product firmware download and installation

Step 1: Important notes

iFi XMOS firmware version 5.30 ‘Cookies & Cream’ is ready for public download.

It is unified and works on the following machines :

• micro iDAC2
  • micro iDSD and BL
  • nano iDSD original, BL and LE
  • nano iONE*
  • Retro Stereo 50
  • xDSD"

means it´s ok for the xDSD - or do I make a mistake?

can I go back to the firmware I use now? - that was my fear… and mainly laziness - why I did not try it

" PLEASE READ BEFORE UPGRADING FIRMWARE:

• iFi XMOS Firmware versions 5.30/5.20 are NOT suitable for: iDAC, iLINK and AMR DP-777. Please do NOT FLASH these machines .
  • Only use the following firmware on those products listed above.
  • Only use sub version 5.2A on the micro iDAC2, nano iDSD, iDSD LE, iDSD BL, iOne and xDSD.
  • For firmware versions v4.06 and earlier, the above firmware versions are NOT unified. Please check carefully that the version is suited to your model."

so if one uses an older version, he has to update to 5.2a first - than to 5.3c - if I understand this correct

Are you upgrading it for MQA? I think it over writes DSD or something. I gave up on MQA. I found out recently that its lossy! Amazon music has the same quality as “Masters” from Tidal. They call it “Ultra HD” but they dont require MQA to listen to it.

I gave up on MQA. I found out recently that its lossy! Amazon music has the same quality as “Masters” from Tidal. They call it “Ultra HD” but they dont require MQA to listen to it.

As far as I can tell from the descriptions of MQA it’s basically an uncompressed stream 48/24 with additional high frequency information encoded compressed in the bottom 3 bits of the signal.
The advantage being you can just play it and it’s in effect 48/21 with some inaudible noise, or use something that can decode the additional high frequency information.
It’s a nice idea, but I also have swapped to Amazon Music and uncompressed 96/24 and 192/24.

how do you handle the driver “problematic” with Amazon? - no Wasapi or Asio support?

I also use Amazon HD,
Tidal Masters and
Spotify Premium on PC with different DACs and on the go with Android phone + USB Audio Player Pro App + ifif xDSD connected with a OTG cable

When fully decoded, the resolution of MQA is limited to 17 bits at 96 kHz. (…) The MQA encoder shown in Fig. 7A accepts a 96 kHz 24-bit input. (…) MQA does not losslessly preserve the original 24-bit signal. For this reason MQA is not truly a lossless system. At best, the MQA system losslessly conveys 17-bits at 96 kHz.

I really don’t like the sound of mqa. I can tell the difference between a proper cd flac and mqa, and the CD is better lol (and I made sure they are exactly the same mastering and version). One from tidal the other from a cd

1 Like

What about CD recordings? Does MQA improve the sound of a 44.1 kHz CD recording after it has been made? The MQA people claim that it does. Beware, as any processing that changes the sound can work in either direction. It may make one recording sound better while doing damage to another.

Well, there you go :stuck_out_tongue:
Why not just keep the authentication part and send us .wav files without a “free DRM requiring costly DACs”…

IDK, I mean I like the concept (but not the drm by design, kinda) but it just doesn’t sound as good as a true lossless imo. It’s better then typical lossy, but I don’t think it rivals flac

I’ll have to try that external power supply with my Zen DAC. I’m noticing things with it that I’m trying to troubleshoot with it. I might see whats up with that GTO filter.

1 Like

it is like with all streaming - after you find something you love, get it as lossless
for finding new music, I prefer the streaming services over standing for hours in a shop and listen to stuff like in the old days

Like noise or a ground loop?

Not sure if this is a deal but Massdrop is offering their Drop bounty box 250$ again, #2. Unfortunately you cant just choose Audiophile. So its possible you will get non audio stuff.

from the website:
Each box will contain a total of five items. The default box comprises two common items, two uncommon items, and one rare item. Some boxes will contain two rares, or an epic item.

Some noise, random crackling and popping. I did try out a longer aftermarket usb-b cable, that is when I notice it the most. I switched back to the stock cable but its connected to a USB extender and for the most part I don’t hear it as much, but I hear it.

If you connect the stock cable with no extender directly into a PC does the noise and crackling still occur?

Yeah there are things that I have to do to eliminate it. I have to shift things around in order to accomplish that as the cable is only a foot or so long.

It will have be later tonight as I’m rocking the crackle free Tone Board at work.