2022 Releases Worth Listening To

Nice one. Stuff like this wouldn’t be on my radar.

The stuff from Jenny Hval and surprisingly, Tangerine Dream are the releases that grabbed me most this week. Hard to compete with all the great stuff released last week though.

Been enjoying this one.

1 Like

Lots of good stuff this week, this stands out though…

I am a little disappointed in early 2022. I have been waiting years for new releases from Red Hot Chili Peppers and Florence and the Machine. I am so disappointed in both releases. The Florence album is very dance oriented and the Peppers are back to pop music.

I still have high hopes for 2022 since just about everybody is going to drop an album this year. But I couldn’t find anything to buy today. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Shocked there hasn’t been mention of the new Denzel Curry LP yet, terrific lyrics and great production:
https://denzelcurrymusic.bandcamp.com/album/melt-my-eyez-see-your-future

Not out yet but if the single is anything to go by then the new King Gizz is gonna slam:
https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/omnium-gatherum

This also caught me by surprise as well if you’re into doom/stoner metal:
https://ripplemusic.bandcamp.com/album/the-tunnel-the-well-holy-bedlam

2 Likes

I’ve been privy to the Michael Kane and the Morning Afters new album Broke But Not Broken that comes out next week and it’s front to back bangers. Kind of updated take on that Springsteen style rock n roll. There’s 4 tracks out now on streaming. I’m a sucker for rock piano and guitars.

1 Like

You’ll like Sam Fender’s new record, “Seventeen Going Under.” Very Springsteen-like with sax, guitar, keys.

1 Like

New Denzel Curry is sick album. The production is top notch!

3 Likes

As for Flo, it’s not even out yet, I wouldn’t judge based on the single (similar thing happened with the new Adele. Single dropped, figured it was gonna be same ole same ole, and then the first track blew the roof off anything released in pop in QUITE a while.

As for the RHCP, I’m still on my first listen, but this is the first thing of theirs I’ve liked since Stadium Arcadium, I wouldn’t say it’s any more poppy than that one. I personally got exactly what I wanted from it, which is that unmistakable Frusciante touch.
It’s also worth noting that the album is i n c r e d i b l y well mixed, it’s really something when you start to focus in on the little things - that’s always a huge thing for me :slight_smile:

To me, the new RHCP’s album is a return to every other album before The Getaway. I owned 21 songs before The Getaway. I would take song or two or three from all the previous albums. Love The Getaway from start to finish. I am sure their hardcore fans will be glad to have the old sound back.

I own the first four albums from Florence and the Machine. My take:
Really liked the first album
LOVED the second album
Liked the third album
Unimpressed with the fourth album
Heard three songs off the new album and don’t like any of them.

Music is a gamble every time and hugely personal.

1 Like

Very similar to my thoughts about Courtney Barnett’s three studio albums:

Debut: “Wow, this is fresh and exciting.”
Second: “More of the same, but it’s OK.”
Most recent: “This album is boring as f*ck.”

2 Likes

Only 2022 album I have bought so far this year is the new Beth Hart album. Not a big fan of hers, but I love this album. She doesn’t try to copy Robert Plant, just does her own version. Very nice!
And yes I am old and grew up with Zeppelin as my favourite band. :grin:

I am currently collecting lots of Hard Bop!

this is very good

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m a song in and while it’s not the type of music I would usually listen to, the production is great. Going to give it a try!

1 Like

Still working through this week’s releases, but the new Gizzard album is the one that has grabbed me the most so far. Great production.

5 Likes

This one is out about a month, but only discovering it now. Glitchy experimental hip hop, so much going on.

Nice! 8 minutes into the first song…really cool
Thanks for that :sunglasses::ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Dawn FM

Months later, I keep coming back to this album.

It’s one of the Weeknd’s most ambitious projects in a while – I think he nailed it.

When it comes to music, Canada just can’t lose these days.

2 Likes

Lot of stuff this week hasn’t grabbed my interest. So much indie/bedroom pop rock stuff. All becomes the same to some extent.

This on the other hand, is quite interesting. Dark electronic stuff with a lot of metal influence, crunchy guitars etc. Overall very moody, ominous etc.

1 Like