2022 Releases Worth Listening To

Listening to King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard’s new album entitled Changes that just dropped today I believe and it is DEFINITELY worth checkin’ out. It’s very cool and laid back while featuring top shelf musicianship.

1 Like

Love these guys. Unbelievable how prolific they are, breakneck pace of full album releases, every album different. How they have it all committed to memory for live performances too blows my mind!

Missed that they’d released another album, so thanks, looking forward to listening to it later today!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a dizzying pace to keep up with. I’m always a bit surprised when I see another one in my weekly releases update from Qobuz. Seeing these guys live is a crazy ride and makes for a great experience. I saw them for the first time shortly after they released Polygondwanaland and apparently one of their opening acts hadn’t made it to the show because of tour bus problems so KGLW played a marathon set that was nearly three hours total like it was what they had planned all along. It was crazy!

2 Likes

King Gizz’s last release before this one – can’t remember the name – also was really good. The band releases so much music per year that it’s hard to keep track, but I’m not complaining!

1 Like

The last full release was Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava I think and, you’re right, it was good as well. TBH, I think I actually prefer this one, but as @rattlingblanketwoman alluded to it has a different feel to it.

Another interesting one that came out this week is an album called Hiding In Plain Sight from a band bamed Drugdealer. It’s a little slice of 1975 smoothness right here in 2022. I think it’s pretty good.

Edit: The vocalist on these tracks is literally channeling Bill Withers. It’s pretty cool!

2 Likes

I’ll have listen, really excited, I’m a big fan of recent groups channeling older vibes (Temples for example). Loved the story, sounds like a fantastic experience.

That album title and band name combo is absolutely hilarious!

1 Like

Let me know what you think. I enjoyed the album quite a bit myself.

@rattlingblanketwoman @JAnonymous5150 if you all like new groups channeling that old sound check out these labels. Colemine Records, Karma Chief (sister company of Colemine) and Big Crown Records. They have a plethora of these types of artists and can’t really go wrong with 90% of them

1 Like

I knew about Colemine and Karma Chief, but Big Crown is new to me. Thanks for the rec(s)!

1 Like

You might have heard of El Michels (El Michels Affair) and he is the co-founder of Big Crown

1 Like

Thanks! A few years back I discovered Burger Records for a cali surf/garage sound too.

1 Like

Oooh nice, I love some good surf rock!

Thanks for the tip. Eager to listen to this!

1 Like

Couldn’t find audio only in YouTube, but:

Fever Ray - What They Call Us

1 Like

Man it’s been years…

The Car, new album by Arctic Monkeys

Continues the vibe of Tranquility Base Hotel’s pace which I’m a fan of.

5 Likes

I am always down for more Arctic Monkeys!

1 Like

Tbh the first Arctic Monkeys album I actually enjoy listening to

Gonna post Anna of the North’s new album by tracks as it’s the only way I can find to link the whole album without other shit added…a good listen :+1:

For me, the year started off very weak, but is finishing strong. Here is what I got recently, chronologically. Do a full list next month for the year.

1. The Blue Stones - Pretty Monster
    Healing - YouTube

2. Larkin Poe - Blood Harmony
    Deep Stays Down - YouTube

3. Crosses - Permanent Radiant (only a single so far)
    ††† (Crosses) - Vivien (Official Music Video) - YouTube

4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Return of the Dream Canteen
    Tippa My Tongue - YouTube

5. Bywater Call - Remain
    Lover Down Slow - YouTube

6. Marcus King - Young Blood
    It's Too Late - YouTube

And that is just since August! Also, not counting some singles. :smile:

Turning out to be a pretty good year, music wise.