2022 Releases Worth Listening To

Saw Kevin and the Blues Groovers perform last Saturday night. I think 23yo Kevin Gullage could be the next New Orleans superstar after Trombone Shorty and Jon Batiste. This is their debut release… mostly blues, but great blues! Their live repertoire is much more varied… the first New Orleans band I’ve heard do a terrific cover of Gerry Rafferty’s ‘Baker Street’, for example. And they finished their set with Elton John’s ‘Bennie and the Jets’.

A couple photos from their performance… Kevin’s father, Tony Gullage is playing a 6-string bass.

kevin gullage 2

3 Likes

If anyone in Europe is interested, I just saw on K and the BG’s Instagram page that they landed in Innsbruck, Austria a few days ago. I don’t know whether it’s just one festival there, or they’re touring around Europe.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with K and the BG, other than being a fan.

1 Like

You got my interest with the mention of the two Classic’s that they covered live. Maybe they will do a live album on tour?
I will definitely have a listen to their new album.

Danger Mouse & Black Thought - Cheat Codes. For me rap album of the year easily for the production alone. Being a fanboy of the Roots does not help with objectivism though

Found a new band back in May, Bywater Call, and bought their single. Turns out there is an album coming out (Remain) and I just pre-bought it, so now I have three songs off of it.

If you like blues rock, check these guys out. Some of Canada’s best.

1 Like

loving these at the moment

1 Like

Not to disregard pop, Beyoncé’s Renaissance album really does deserve the attention it’s getting, even though I think Gaga did it better with Chromatica (but that’s just bad luck, releasing an album just when a pandemic hits - any other year that album would’ve defined the direction of pop music for the entire decade IMO)

1 Like

These guys were a pleasant surprise - Mark E Smith wit with a Talking Heads chorus?

Here is what I have bought so far in 2022:

Albums
Bywater Call - Remain
Marcus King - Young Blood
Big Wreck - 7.2 (EP)
Florence and The Machine - Dance Fever (bought half the album)
Two Feet - Shape & Form
Trombone Shorty - Lifted
The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie (bought half the album)
Beth Hart - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin
Several jazz albums/singles from days gone bye.

Singles/multiple singles
From Highly Suspect, Dorothy, Crosses, The Cold Stares, Seether, Bob Moses and The Blue Stones. Not a banner year, but not bad. Still got four months left. :grin:

PS: I just bought the lead single off the upcoming Peppers album, so that might be a go too.

Very cool band.

Impressed by what they’re still putting out there in 2022! Very immersive through Serials with double flange tips, sounds like it’d be right up the street of the Szalayi too.

Two of my recent favorites. The production on both is superb!

1 Like

Denzel Curry - Melt Eyes (more laid back than his previous albums)
Hatchie - Giving the World Away (Dream Pop)
Ants From Up There - Black Country, New Road (Indie Rock/Chamber Music)
Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You - Big Thief (Alt Country/Americana)

2 Likes

Pure Reason Revolution’s Above Cirrus, The Mars Volta’s new self-titled comeback, and Interpol’s The Other Side of Make Believe are three 2022 releases I have been listening to a bunch lately.

1 Like

A new album that I am Really enjoying:

I like it, too, and I’m not a massive Chili Peps’ fan. There’s just something organic and a bit jammy about this record that hits me in the right spot.

Totally agree. I have about 20 songs from their first 30 years together. Then I bought The Getaway. Loved that album, start to finish.
To me, their album Unlimited Love from earlier this year is for all the fans of the pop/single-centric style of earlier times. This album (Return of the Dream Canteen), fits in nicely with The Getaway.

Pardon me carjacking the thread. What does your life partner kids peers Normies listen too ?

Steve Lacy - Gemini Rights (Soul)
Carlie Rae Jepsen - Loneliest Time
Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen (Alt. R&B/Pop)
Kilo Kush - American Gurl (Electropop)
Bad Bunny - Un Verano Sin Ti (Reggaeton/Latin Pop)
Shygirl - Nymph (UK Bass, UK Hip Hop, R&B)
Flume - Palaces (Glitch Pop, Future Bass)

Fairly simple electronic/pop releases that remind me of each other a little.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs album Cool It Down (super mellow for them, especially Karen O)

Metric album Formentera

1 Like