500$ IEM or 500$ Over-ear Headphone?

u think a dx3 pro+ would be sufficient?

should be fine.

1 Like

I have read on several places that dollar per dollar when talking same price you get better performance from an iem, meaning $500 dollars iem tends to be “better” than a $500 dollar headphone, but as many have mentioned here it comes down to preference, I do use mostly iems mainly because with iems I don’t bother the family as when I use headphones (I like open back headphones), so with iems I can be at the living room listening to music without bothering those around me.

1 Like

It really depends on what you want. For example: I would take the timeles IEM over a long list of planars right up to the arya. Because it’s tuning is far more appealing than any of them. So a $200 IEM basically wipes the floor with many far more expensive headphones to me.

I have a similar experience with my Dunu Zen. Fantastic.

But, then my favorite headphone is the LSA HP-2 Ultra. This does things that no IEM will ever be able to match. Because physics.

I do think, that if you aren’t trying to avoid the weaknesses of IEMs, you get an overall better bang for your buck with them. I had to clear $700 before I found headphones I really genuinely liked. Timeless, dusk, tea all clear that bar easily at less than half that price. But my sound preferences play to IEM strengths.

This makes me want to hear the edition xs now. The ananda is in my top 6 (#6) because it is a generically “good” headphone. Shines at nothing. Messes nothing up. My biggest gripe is the neutrality and flat bass. But for less money, having something better seems worth it.

3 Likes

My main genre is techno bro…

Regarding xenhs up:

Xenns UP is a different tribid from everything I’ve heard. I love it, it’s so much fun.

EJ will play all songs you listed (I use know some of them and use it) since it’s an all rounder.

Let me know if you need more help, here on in PM.

1 Like

now my adhd is playing its role: i totally didnt notice your profile pictures LOL

well you have some baggage to say with propertie, nice review and comparation mate, will get in touch with u

1 Like

You serious? I just got my Anandas

They’re pretty damn good. I honestly didn’t expect to like them this much. Strong contender for a spot on my wall.

1 Like

I would let it largely depend on how much you listen to classical music to be honest. If that’s really a lot then you may prefer tonality, coherence, timbre, and staging above anything else. However, if that’s a minority share then you may want to favour the “fun factor” over all of those.

drftr

1 Like

i listen to classical quite often but other genres aswell, honestly i didn’t understand you completely, you mean if i do listen to classical i take the fullsize headphones instead?

My concern was that someone who listens to a lot of classical music and possibly visits quite some live performances in general tends to like the tonality and timbre of acoustic instruments being reproduced similar to what he or she is used to during those live events.

That’s quite the challenge for most IEMs (and headphones) that are largely tuned for listening to amplified or electronic instruments. For acoustic instruments it’s easier to tell whether they sound “correct” or not. Unless you happen to know how an electric guitar using distortion pedals and tremeloes should sound when not amplified. So when an IEM can sound fantastic reproducing amplified music by no means it’s a given that acoustic instruments used for classical music reproduction sound correct as well.

Long story short: If you value classical music being reproduced pretty similar to a live performance then you may want to value tonality, coherence, timbre, and staging over, say, deep and powerful bass, upfront female vocals, an early treble roll-off, etcetera.

If you want to have both then you may want to think how you’d prefer to compromise in a for you and your library optimal way.

drftr

2 Likes