770 Pro's Going out - Bought 6xx's - Looking for some advice

Can you do a sibilance test between the cans? My go to is this video by DMS lol :grin: DT1990 - Review - YouTube

Just how bad the S’s feel in that video?

I’m not super sure how well I’ll describe sound, so feel free to ask for correction.

Also for the record, this far, Purplezorz was right. The Sundara’s honestly slaughter everything here. Doom Eternal sound track and things like Slipknot (An old favorite, but not something I listen to that much) both sound amazing.

The X2s aren’t bad at all for $200 less. They absolutely hit the bass target but they feel…artificial compared to the Sundara’s. If I was a bit more strapped for cash, I’d honestly probably just settle for the X2HRs. I just got a bonus at work and so the Sundara’s are feeling good. I feel a bit unsafe doing it due to the QC issues.

My EQ Favorite for the Sundara’s is the Harman Target from /u/oratory1990, with the 105 Freq boosted to 10db from 5.5db. The bass here is tight, especially compared to the X2HRs which is a bit messy.

The X2HRs I also EQ the 105 Freq to 105 on Harman Target and it definitely rumbles more than the Sundara’s, but its, as I said, a bit messy in comparison. People who mention that Planar’s EQ amazingly are correct. It doesn’t feel like you lose anything by boosting the bass frequencies on the Sundara’s.

The 6xx’s just can’t really come close to the bass performance of the Sundara’s, and for me that means everything. When EQing the 6xx’s, I try to bump up the 105 frequency from 5.5 to 10 or 11, like the X2 and Sundara, but it just makes everything feel a bit…darker? Muddy? Not sure what term to use here. The mids feel faded by comparison.

1 Like

Oh wow you are selling the Sundaras very well !

Yes the T’s and S’s on this video feel very harsh on my 770 what is your experience with your diferrent headphones?

Also, I have heard a lot of people say that planars have a “larger” sound, from the larger size of the driver. Do you feel this?

Generally do you feel Sundaras are much smoother on the highs or not that big diferrence in term of smoothness?

Final question, if you had not heard the Sundaras, would you be pleased with the fidelios or would they leave you wanting a bit better?

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

Yes the T’s and S’s on this video feel very harsh on my 770 what is your experience with your diferrent headphones?

on the Sundara’s they’re there, I can hear them, but they don’t bother me.

on the Fidelio’s, christ thats not great. The volume is low and it’s still pretty painful. This genuinely surprised me a bit.

on the 6xx’s, they don’t bother me at all. Feels on the same level, maybe a touch better than the Sundara’s.

Also, I have heard a lot of people say that planars have a “larger” sound, from the larger size of the driver. Do you feel this?

I’m sure that the larger sound is part of what makes them feel different compared to the 6xx. There’s something really comfortable about the 6xx’s and their closer more intimate sound, but I prefer the “larger sound” of the Sundara’s.

Generally do you feel Sundaras are much smoother on the highs or not that big diferrence in term of smoothness?

I’m not sure how to exactly compare smoothness on highs. After listening to the 770s for so long I feel like anything like a 6xx or Sundara just feels “Better” and distinguishing the difference is a bit tough.

I just put in the X2s again, I think you can definitely describe the Sundara’s as much more smooth. There’s some highs/mids when listening to “The Days” by Aviici that made me turn the volume down.

Final question, if you had not heard the Sundaras, would you be pleased with the fidelios or would they leave you wanting a bit better?

See thats tough. I already listened to the 6xx’s for about a week when I got the Fidelio’s, so I could hear the difference between the 2X and 6XX. That being said, after EQing the Fidelio’s I’d go with the Fidelio’s personally. They just sound so much better for EDM-type music than the 6xx (Sundara’s sound equally good with a good Harman Target EQ). With metal its tougher because the advantages of the Sundara feel much more obvious, especially with faster metal like Doom.

If I hadn’t heard the 6xx or Sundara, I’d be satisfied with the X2HRs, though I can see myself hunting for an upgrade at some point and probably ending up at the Sundara’s again.

As far as comfort, all of them feel comfortable to me. I’m gathering I have a very average ear size and head size. I can feel the top and bottom of the Sundara’s earpads but its not uncomfortable in any way. Wore them for probably 6-7 hours last night. The 6xx’s feel the lightest and have the nicest pads to me.

1 Like

I do own the sundara and had have the x2 (non hr version) for couple years. I sold the x2 last year after i have bought the harmonicdyne zeus. I also had the nighthawk carbon.

I would rate the zeus and the nighthawk over the x2. The zeus is also v-shaped like the x2, but their sound is more refined. So it it is like an upgraded x2. The sundara has still better sound quality in general and more detail, but the zeus is not far behind and has stronger sub bass than the sundara.

The nighthawk carbon has the best bass, but has a darker sound signature. I don’t know, if you are searching for a v-shaped or a dark headphone.

My personal ranking for sound quality would be: sundara > zeus = nighthawk > x2

Well, I think I initially was looking for V-Shape because I had a desire for bass from the 6xx, but finding from the sundara that I just have a certain bar I want to be able to hit with bass, once I can get that, I don’t want the rest of the headphone to be v-shape, I guess.

Not sure if that makes sense.

Thanks for the great replies Stormcrown. I have decided to pick up Sundaras as well:P… Keep us posted if you change your mind or anything… Hopefully the bass will be good for me as well. Also about CQ I think a good store will help with the warranty and all that…

@ProbableSteve Something to keep in mind, you’ll want something to store them on that isn’t just a hook. If they are just resting, the bottom of the pads push into each other a bit too much. I assume this will lead to extra wear/tear.

I went with this stand and this Neomusicia 4.5ft cable. I’m tempted to grab something like a Hart Audio cable, but I’d likely only do that if I upgrade to a Magnius/Modius at some future date, which I really not sure I’d do.

As everyone has said, the cable that comes with the Sundara’s is not a good time.

1 Like

On a depressing note, I’ve underestimated how bad the sound leakage is with the Sundaras.

My partner can hear them the other side of a separate room, at a moderate volume (to me). After testing how quiet I’d need them to be to not be heard over the TV, they just aren’t a viable option.

I’ll be testing the 177x Go’s as they were my leading closed back option.

For anyone who finds this thread via google or something. I did a bunch more research and I was lucky enough to get an order in for the T60RP Argon’s. The sound leaking was just too much on the Sundara’s.

Going to use my XM3’s on my desktop until they come in (10-14 weeks).

Returning the 6xx, x2HR, Sundara, and 177x Go.

I’m not going to open the 177x Go’s so Drop can have an easier time restocking them. From the studying I’ve done, $350 for 177x doesn’t really compete with $450 for T60RP Argons.

1 Like

I think this post is noteworthy for a lot of folks.
Open/Closed is a very important question that gets breezed over a lot, but is very important.

Particularly when people are not experienced with open-backs, you can’t explain enough how significant the sound out is.

At normal listening levels, I can take cans off, go downstairs several rooms away and can hear them throughout the house.

It should be the first question, and not as it relates to sound signature - but utility.

1 Like

Yeah, I wish I was aware of just how bad it was. I’m happy to have heard the Sundaras just for research reasons, but it was pretty depressing when I realized I couldn’t use them. I wish there was a hard measurement for volume db at 30ft away or something.