8 ohm 50 watt speakers help

My mate is building a system, he doesn’t want a sub, he has an amp and a budget of under £500.

He is looking for 8 ohm, 50 watt passive speakers, anyone got a recommendation?

edit: those are 400 pounds for the pair.

1 Like

The wattage makes no difference - forget that. What amplifier is he using?

1 Like

Custom built lm3886 at 50w per channel Or an arcam alpha 5

Will the speakers be expected to play at loud volumes for parties? In a large space? Or is this a bedroom/desktop setup? What type of music?

And you might as well throw in how big the room is and how flexible the space is for speaker placement in the room.

1 Like

@A_Jedi @Polygonhell He’s setting up a system for his university dorm, so the room is going to be pretty compact. He mostly listens to rap and electronic music, so will want it decently loud but not for parties.
He is going to do audio engineering at University though so he needs something pretty decent.

Thanks

For a dorm room (small) power and/or sensitivity won’t matter so there really are no restrictions to consider other than the type of sound he prefers. For rap and electronic, laid back speakers are probably not the right choice. At that price point there a ton of speakers. He (or you) needs to look at some bookshelf speaker reviews and decide. I find ZeroFidelity on youtube to be very good in accurately describing how a speaker sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ZeroFidelity/videos

Ultimately you want to audition speakers at home on your own system so I would look at companies that offer free trial periods.

Given his music choice, the biggest issue you probably have without a sub is finding something with what he considers acceptable bass In a reasonable compact form factor.
The only real way to tell is to listen.

A rear ported speaker close to the wall should give as much bass as a small speaker is ever going to.

rb42’s. perfect for dorm size rooms and his music tastes.

edit: use the rest on a quality amp to go with them.

1 Like