8 Tracks Are Back!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/7/21110785/5seven-8-track-tapes-thee-oh-sees-music

or at least, in this one case they are.

3 Likes

I get vinyl
I get reel to reel
I dont get this.

4 Likes

Nostalgia lol. Just like how people are liking cassette again (although with a good tape deck and good quality tape cassette wasn’t that bad)

I’m waiting for mini disc to make a come back. By the end of their lifecycle they could hold as much as a cd.
Some folks in the uk still use them to offload redhook cd rips to a smaller medium
Lol

I will give the aesthetic something.
Those chunky cartridges have a feel you dont really get with new tech any more

what’s a redhook cd rip?

Autocorrect changed it from red book lol
Just the industry standard for cd bit rate and compression

Maxell XLii 90.

[quote=“M0N, post:3, topic:8999”]
although with a good tape deck and good quality tape cassette wasn’t that bad
[/quote

Nakamichi for the win…had a ‘basic’ one still cost me more than I should’ve spent lol.

2 Likes

Tape decks were one of the very few components where there was little to no discussion around what was best.
Nakamichi Dragon and everything else.

random image of my cassette player growing up, to many years ago =D

2 Likes

Did the reviewer use his tweezers or his LiveStrong antistatic bracelet?

I don’t really trust anything I read in The Verge since their PC build video, and their childish and heavy handed response to it’s critics.

Being old enough that 8-tracks were what I was buying when I first started, all I can say is no. I have no interest in this medium.

I remember 8 tracks. they where a big deal back in the day. it was portable! you could buy a player like this:

And take your favorite albums to the beach! isnt that amazing! what do you think of that!?

You could also get a player for your car! YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY YOUR FAVORITE ALBUMS IN YOUR CAR WHILE DRIVING AROUND! Fantastic!

You could get a 8-track recorder and make a mix tape! oh lordy! then TAKE IT TO THE BEACH AND DRIVE AROUND WITH IT! oh man it was awesome!

Then cassettes came out