A audiophile’s greatest mistake

So I’m sure others have ran into this and many people have talked about something similar, but chasing the universal best has no real answer. I’ve had so many IEM’s. Brands like MoonDrop, Thieaudio, 64 audio, and others have all graced my ears and I feel very blessed to have experienced them all. All these brands have an attachment to a certain group of people, budgets, and ears. However, beyond that we have to overwhelming fact that each of us all have different ears frequency focuses, sensitivity, and different music styles.

All of these things make the ability to truly ever find the universal best in IEM or headphones impossible. Even with individuals, our ears adapt to what they are subjected to. Something today might be great and such a year from now. Or something that sucks when you first listen to it becomes a favorite of ours.

You can find the Monarch Mk2 as the best ever until you hear the Odin,Fir m5, or U12T. Then the limits and satisfaction you once had disappears or visa versa. Nothing really makes logical sense if you’re honest enough with yourself. And yet we find ourselves fighting over which is better, which makes no sense with so many variable that create subjective outcomes.

Price doesn’t guarantee better performance. One brand direction doesn’t guarantee the victory either. And yet we all swear by these different things over and over. The truth is that there is no such things as a universal Best in such a subjective hobby.

2 Likes

I agree, but also disagree.

there are universal bests while there is no universal epic because, as you pointed out, everyone is a bit different so what one person things is the absolute best won’t be the same for another.

I say there are universal bests because as products are released and experienced by more and more the zeitgeist consciousness will find ones that most enjoy with those that don’t being the outliers. :slight_smile:

…thanks for the response. But again what you claiming is still impossible unless all people have the exact same variables in place exactly like the others. It’s not opinions… it’s scientifically impossible for there to ever be a universal best in a subject without a controller that maintains exactly the same variables across each test. The human ears and its structure and frequency capabilities are too different and unpredictable to ever come tor the same conclusion.

There is not one single IEM on the planet that everyone claims is their absolute favorite and best across the board. Every single IeM has groups of people who don’t like it or don’t think that it’s truly what other claim

As with anything so very highly subjective in life, to search for a one-and-done/one-size-fits-all is but a fool’s errand.

The exception to this is the far and few able to control their impulses. Though I’m not one, they do exist…

1 Like

For me, I like using the term “favorite”. Best does not exist as satisfaction/enjoyment is dependent of too many variables many of which are within the neurological and psycho acoustic realm. Heck, sometimes my favorite set depends on my sinuses and the weather, literally. sinuses affect auditory reception.

1 Like

True. There can’t ever be a “best”. We’re not only all different, we chase different sound. What sounds good to me will be soso or horrible for you. Or not. All we can do is chase the hifi dragon. If you have found what if best for you. Fantastic! Of course we want you to share. If there is even a chance it will show improvement for others, yea I want to here about it. Other than that its like an asylum in here. We’re all crazy. But chasing and discussing and hearing about your success helps validate my addiction. So share what you find good or bad. Inquiring minds gota know.

2 Likes