A brief comparison of cheap bluetooth ANC headphones from Amazon

As I mentioned in the comments on Zeos’s mPow H12 review, I purchased a small boatload of cheap Bluetooth ANC headphones just to be able to compare side by side, as I had a need for a pair and didn’t want to break the bank.

Caveat: I have not owned bluetooth ANC headphones, and have never heard the high-end Sony or Bose models, so the comparison is limited to this group.

I did fark up slightly, as Amazon’s WONDERFUL search algorithm put several non ANC models in my results for “bluetooth noise canceling headphones” and I didn’t pay close enough attention before ordering. So the number of headphones compared is 7 rather than 9.

I rated the headphones from 0 to 10 on various criteria:

1. Packaging
  2. Build quality
  3. Comfort
  4. Isolation - ANC off. No music playing, just how well does it diminish ambient noise.
  5. Isolation - ANC on. Ditto.
  6. Sound quality - ANC off
  7. Sound quality - ANC on

Note that the highest point total doesn’t necessarily win out, in my opinion, as not all factors are equal, and also cost must be taken into consideration.

Some general comments:

Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations, not having used ANC headphones before, as the noise canceling aspect really only worked against certain frequencies or types of noise. They did a good job against low-frequency noise or hum, which I guess is expected as these have been marketed for drowning out engine and road noise, etc. But they really don’t do a good job canceling out ambient music, talking, or other sounds across the higher frequencies or that are very variable in frequency range.

Perhaps the results are different with high-end ANC headphones, but we’re talking about a completely different cost tier. The most expensive headphones in my group was $129.99, less than half of what the premier ANC headphones cost, and most were well below $100.

For most of the headphones, listening to music with vs. without ANC was a dramatic difference in quality, timbre, etc. Huge. In some cases it seemed like the frequency response was better with the ANC off, especially bass… but then there was a tendency to become boomy/bloated.

None of these are going to be even remotely “endgame”. For in-office/home listing I still greatly prefer my Takstar HF-580, Monolith m570, and Sennheiser 58X. No, these are intended to be a portable, isolating compromise used on the go, not for critical listening.

In alphabetical order:

Boltune.
Cost: $39.99
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJK73L8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Packaging: 6
Build quality: 7
Comfort: 8
Isolation (ANC off): 5
Isolation (ANC on): 6
Sound quality (ANC off): 3
Sound quality (ANC on): 5

Total: 40

Comments: Probably the worst sound quality of the bunch, or close to it. Boomy bass and rolled off highs. Did not enjoy at all.

Cowin E7 Pro
Cost: $69.99
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YG22Y9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build quality: 6
Comfort: 6
Isolation (ANC off): 4
Isolation (ANC on): 5
Sound quality (ANC off): 4

Total: 36

Comments: The Cowin and Meidong are clones, presumably from the same Chinese OEM, even down to the boxes colors and inks. The only difference is the text on the boxes. The structure of the headphones as well as the control layouts are identical, only surface textures, colors, and trim being the same.

They both suffer from the same horrific controls and layout, which I loathed, and the same V-shaped sound signature: harsh treble and loud bass. If you’re going thinking about buying Cowin, just buy Meidong, as it’s the same thing (in general) just $20 cheaper. Also, no voice prompts when you power on or off, or are pairing, just beeps.

Cowin E8
Cost: $129.99
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C6CC7TJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Packaging: 8
Build quality: 8
Isolation (ANC off): 6
Isolation (ANC on): 7
Sound quality (ANC off): 6
Sound quality (ANC on): 8

Total: 49

Comments: These had the highest point total of the group, which you would expect, as they were almost double the cost of the next highest cost headphones. The best manufacturing quality and appearance of the group, and didn’t share the same control layout as the lower Cowin models, and it does have voice prompts. Second-highest sound quality of the group. Comfort was good, but penalized by the fact they were so darned heavy. Too heavy for a portable set of headphones IMO. Also, per specs, the shortest battery life of the group. So while the point total was the highest, given the cost premium, they wouldn’t be my pick of the bunch.

Meidong E7
Cost: $38.75
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTFK7QC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Packaging: 4
Build quality: 5
Comfort: 5
Sound quality (ANC on): 4

Total: 31

Comments: Worst of the bunch with respect to manufacture and comfort. All the comments of the Cowin E7 Pro apply, just worse. If you’re budget-inclined, skip these and pay the $9 more for the Meidong E7 Pro… but you shouldn’t buy those either.

Meidong E7 Pro
Cost: $47.20
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKYB915/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total: 36

Comments: See exact same as Cowin E7 Pro, just cheaper.

mPow H12
Cost: $43.99 (currently… bounces around in price a LOT)
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RXXJ8YD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Packaging: 4
Comfort: 8
Isolation (ANC off): 6
Isolation (ANC on): 8
Sound quality (ANC off): 6
Sound quality (ANC on): 9

Total: 47

Comments: Cutting to the chase: these were the best overall compromise of the group. Decent isolation, light, comfortable, and most detailed sound in the group. Treble was strong without being harsh. I penalized them in the build quality score because I HATE the rubberized texture. That is going to be a fingerprint oil magnet over time.

While the Cowin E8 and Utaxo had better manufacturing quality and appearance, their sound scores let them down.

Utaxo
Cost: $49.99
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VL21V9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build quality: 9
Comfort: 7
Isolation (ANC off): 7
Isolation (ANC on): 7
Sound quality (ANC off): 3
Sound quality (ANC on): 6

Total: 46

Comments: When I took these out of the box, I really had high hopes for these. Sturdiest manufacture of the bunch, great looks, excellent comfort… but MAN, was I disappointed in the sound. Boomy, bloated bass, with hardly any detail. Epic FAIL.

So that’s my take on this group. I’ll be curious to hear Zeos’s take on the H21 to see whether that brings anything to the table compared to the H12.

2 Likes

They’re actually designed to let voice frequencies through.
I have an older set of Bose and they are worth every penny on an aircraft, noise cancelling on off is like night and day. I only really use mine on aircraft. I also use mine without any music playing about 50% of the time.

A new development… I just received the late-2019 refresh of the Taotronic Soundsurge 46 (BT 5.0, USB-C) to compare to the Mpow H12 that I’ve been using for the last several weeks, and have been A-B testing them back and forth for the last several hours.

The build quality of the Taotronic craps all over the Mpow, but the Taotronic are heavier and have more clamp; you notice them on your head a lot more. I think that keeping the TT clean over time will be a lot easier just based on the materials used.

USB-C on the TT is infinitely better than micro-USB for charging on the Mpow, IMO. With micro, I always worry that I’m trying to insert the connector in the wrong orientation; the connection just feels more delicate.

TT having quick charge is also a bonus.

Soundwise… where do I start? These are two very different sounding headphones, IMO not one inherently better than the other. It feels to me that the Mpow is tuned toward the treble end of the frequency spectrum and the TT is tuned toward the bass end of the spectrum. Neither is deficient in the opposite end, just different.

I’ve never listened to the prior generation of the Soundsurge 46 (the ones that Z reviewed), but one data point suggests that this new refresh has changed the tuning (review from someone who has both versions):

To my ear, the Mpow H12 are more accurate and flat. They sound more detailed, but that may be a by-product of the treble emphasis more than actual increased detail.

On the other hand, the Taotronics create a more enveloping and immersive experience; there’s more going on. For example, on certain live recordings, I hear more sounds around the periphery (audience noise, etc.) and there’s a bit more reverb/ambiance for lack of a better term.

In general, when I repeat the same song going from Taotronics to Mpow, my immediate reaction tends to be “Wow, this has more texture and probably closer to what was intended, but isn’t quite as alive; sounds almost boring”. When I go in the opposite direction, from Mpow to TT, my initial reaction tends to be “Lost some detail, but I like what these are doing”.

With the TT, it’s almost as if I know that the sound is wrong, but I like the wrongness, if that makes any sense. It’s a much more engaging sound signature. I find that I lose myself much faster in the music with the TT.

These just arrived today, so I’m going to use the TT for a few weeks just in case there’s any burn in or settling issues, and then compare the two again.

My initial impulse is to keep both sets.

1 Like

Wow, you did a awesome review heavyharmonies. Thanks for the time and research you put in. Ive bought other Taotronics products in the past and they make very good quality products. And ive heard the Mpow is a good company also. I dont have any bluetooth anc headphones but if i need some in the future i know what to get.

Have you reviewed any other headphones?

A guy in my office just bought a pair of Taotronics Surge 55 ANC headphones and I am impressed. Sound won’t change the world but it is listenable. ANC is excellent and for applications like flying I think good noise cancelling outweighs ultimate sound quality provided it is listenable. Build quality isn’t very premium but in all honesty they’re pretty similar to the Bose QC35 in terms of tactile feel. Great case and importantly they use USB C. Battery life is great. For travel use these perform very well and at an SRP of $110 they’re an absolute bargain.

I’m curious if anyone has tried the SoundSurge 85

** EarFun Free Pro**
Cost: $59.99
Link:
[Amazon.com: Wireless Earbuds Active Noise Cancelling, EarFun Free Pro 4 Mics Bluetooth 5.2 Earbuds with ANC Transparent Mode, 32H Play Time USB-C Wireless Charging,Touch Control, IPX5 Waterproof : Electronics ]

Build quality: 8
Comfort: 7 ( three sizes of tips and frames )
Isolation (ANC off): 5
Isolation (ANC on): 8
Sound quality (ANC off): 5
Sound quality (ANC on): 6

Short story. My sister-in-law was visiting, and I need sound cancelling ASAP, so I could work at home. I found these, and could get next day delivery.

The sound is a more traditional consumer grade bass heavy tone, but that wasn’t why I bought them. Where these shine is the Active Noise Cancelling. If you want to talk to someone, they are good enough that I have to take them out, or put them into pass through mode ( where the microphone sends audio through, since they isolate well enough to make it hard to hear even in passive mode ).

the TLDR
There are better sounding TWS earbuds, but if you want ANC, these are very good for the price, plus they have two other cool features : Bluetooth, and Qi wireless charging.