A Comparison between the Rupert Neve RNHP & Lake People G111

Are you considering the Focal Utopia? As far as detail is concerned, that one is known for being among the best in regards to detail.

3 Likes

Great comparison Hazi!

I’m glad you’re enjoying it so much. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Yeah im gonna get it someday. gotta sell some stuff first. But its defs my next headphone. Hope it can compete with my Helios. Mon said the Clear sounded great with the RNHP so im betting it will too

3 Likes

Picked myself up a G111 because of this write up. Been wanting to come up to a higher tier of amp and the way you described it, it sounds perfect for my preference. Looking forward to it. I can report back here about how it pairs with the RME once it gets here.

6 Likes

Whats the difference between staging and imaging?

I believe staging is related to depth of field (often referred to by rows in a given venue), where imaging is more precise location within the listening field.

1 Like

I always think of staging as a radar screen…the imaging related to how precise the things on a radar screen can be located.

6 Likes

I was gonna say the image is the ping on a radar screen! :laughing:

4 Likes

Interesting, I like that the reviewer stated that he is a musician, this is important because musicians know what their instruments sound like it. They know what real, live sound is, how the air moves and how a room resonates. I am also a musician and a professional acoustician and have measured many many acoustical systems and electrical systems and the two are so very different. So, I tend to trust a musicians opinion (unless they are a lead guitarist haha). Still, I feel image and staging are the same thing, we’re just talking about the vertical and horizontal axis of the listening field. I do not think you separate these from one another, so here again, balance is the key.

1 Like

Lol

Personally I just lump them into spatial recreation and call it a day, since you need both to accomplish proper recreation of space, and then I can just talk about how well stuff is accurately portrayed

1 Like

I know it’s been posted here before but here is the link to the V280 for $1199 which expires tomorrow:

There are extensive threads on headfi that discuss the V280 / V281 and a bunch of people say the amp section of both are exactly the same with the V281 having a DAC + a better power supply which improves output.

I was very tempted to buy it but I’m dropping $1500 on active bookshelves next month so decided not to extend myself yet.

1 Like

Also that wait tho lol

1 Like

The wait is only a little over 4 weeks. Not bad at all by Drop standards. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah but it’s Drop, so that 4 weeks can be delayed many more weeks haha

1 Like

…or even just flat out canceled with no warning and/or explanation as to why, they did that to me once.

My g111 came today! I’ll post my impressions in here when I get enough time with it

12 Likes

I’m very interested to hear your thoughts on this amp.

3 Likes

So I spent a decent amount of time with the G111 last night. Enough for an initial impression at least. My chain was PC>>RME ADI2 DAC FS>>G111>>NDH20s. (Picked the NDH20s to start with just to have a full German setup going lol)

Stuck with the NDH20s the whole night, probably the longest I’ve ever had them on in one session. I can say that this amp makes the NDH20s do things that no other solid state amp I’ve tried them on has done for them. It gave them a space, similar to what tubes do for them but a little different. I’ll need more time to go in depth on that point. I seemed to pick up on smaller detail, that I do not remember hearing before in the songs I listened to. It has an interesting presentation. Again I need more time to go in depth.

All I can say for now is, I’ve always wanted more listening time at my desk, but that desire has never been as strong as it is with this amp. I can’t wait to get more time with it, very curious what the Elex will do on it. I’ll report back here once I get some more in depth observations. Overall, already VERY satisfied with this purchase.

8 Likes

I’d also like to add that I had a THX 789 here 2 weeks ago and it got returned. This amp however will absolutely be staying. To me, the 789 was just missing soundstage, and something else that I couldn’t put my finger on. I enjoyed my other cheaper amps (EL amp gen 1, Archel 2.5) much more, which is why it got returned. The g111 however is a clear step up from those other cheaper amps imo.

5 Likes

I’m glad you enjoy the new amp. Re:789, I totally hear the same thing comparing the RNHP. However I think it’s DAC dependent.

The 789 with the ADI-2 (I see the RME as analytical) displayed the same behavior your describing. But with the Modius that just came out it’s much nicer to listen to. The RNHP starts to sound a bit soft in comparison. Really interesting.

I may actually return the RNHP (I know this is heresy on this forum). I also have a Violectric 280 on the way which from what I understand of the LP house sound it should be a reasonable replacement for it.

4 Likes