A recommendation for a portable DAC

Hello everyone,

I appologize in advance for a long post.

I am using 3 different stereo setups, all of them based on old/vintage components (Denon DRA/DCD 102 with QAcoustics 3020i speakers, a Marantz 2285 receiver with Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers and a system based on a Yamaha RX-V457 receiver with Canton Chrono 5.2 speakers.

I would like to purchase a portable (not necessarily “mobile”) DAC for my stereo systems.

Why portable? Because my systems are in 3 different locations, but I can not afford to invest in 3 DACs, so I would like to take it with me when I go to those locations. I am not really interested in using the DAC with my cell phone outside of my home, so practically, I am looking for a small DAC which would mostly be stationary.

Presently, I am streaming music from Tidal and listening to FLAC files from storage from my cell phone and my laptop, through line output to RCA inputs of my systems. I would like to increase clarity of the music I am listening through my systems and I hope a deecent DAC could help me acheive that. Increased clarity of mids and highs are especially important to me if I am going to invest in a separate DAC.

Now, apart from mobility of the device I am looking for, I would like it to be $200 or preferably less. That’s what I can afford right now. Ability to render MQA files would be a plus (Tidal masters), but not a deal-breaker. As well, since my equipment doesn’t have any balanced inputs, this would not make a difference.

I have been looking at some of these DACs: Schiit Modi 3, Topping D10/D30/D50s, SMSL M100/300… Also, I would look at iFi hip dac and iFi zen dac, since I find them very interesting.

Since in my place of living I don’t have a chance to listen to any of these DACs, I would like to kindly ask for any advice from members of the forum regarding my dillema.

Thank you in advance and sorry again for the long post.
Vlada

Price range?

@luige06 Under $200.
@VlagimirJ I would highly recommend the Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro DAC. Fairly small, under $200, and kicks butt for the price.

1 Like

Ifi hipdac?

1 Like

Would be good for super easy portable. Also has a nice bass boost. Best portable (as in put in a pocket or connect to phone) most likely under $200. Great recommendation.
If they can use something that isn’t necessarily portable but can plug into different sources then the Enog2 Pro is good.
That’s where the decision will be made I think. If they want super small and able to go in a pocket, or a more dedicated setup that can’t go in a pocket and is not super portable but still small.

1 Like

Seems like a pretty good use case for something like an ifi Nano DSD BL

Hi all,
Thanks for the recommendations for the Enog and iFi dacs.
Did I understand correctly reading this forum that iFi dacs have a “signature” warmer sound? As I said, clarity of mids/higs is of importance to me. How do iFi dacs fare in that department?
Although Enog 2 got a sparkling review, I think the lack of a USB connector is a deal-breaker for me, since easy portsbility and need for another box don’t go hand-in-hand.
Thanks
Vlada

Was for me too

This is correct so it may dampen the highs you’re looking for… I dont have a ton of experience with dacs but maybe consider an xd05 as a dac… I’ve compared the xd05 plus version to the ifi zen (similar to the hip) and I think it would be more along the lines of what you’re looking for

As for mqa under 200 I think the ifi hip (or zen) is your only option with a line out unfortunately

1 Like