About HD 600 series

i have been thinking of buying HD600 for a long time but never did. then a lot of things changed like 650, ndh 20’s, dt 1990’s, 660s and now there is ndh 30’s. seen a lot of reviews back and forth on each one of them and there is something about 600 family.
never heard 600 or 650 but i want to buy them now. so the q is there anyone who owns 600, 650, 660s the whole family and what are there experience?

Like always it depends XD
Do you have an external DAC amp,would you be willing to get a tube amp and the biggest? What music do you like and other HP you did like :wink:

1 Like

Have you read some of the hundreds/thousands of posts on these headphones? 6xx will be relevant to the conversation and research - same as 650.

1 Like

6XX,600 and 650 are very close to each other sound wise and are all solid headphones, I didn’t like 660 at all but some other people do mainly depends on use case

Currently I own the HD 6XXs, which are just the HD 650s but sold on Drop. Overall, the 600 series is fantastic for their top tier mids. The 6XX/650 is more of a Warm Neutral signature, which is great for simply sitting down and enjoying your music. Honestly the only major downside to them is their veil, meaning they don’t have the best imaging. But outside of that I love my 6XXs to death, incredibly comfy (once you fix the clamp, very easy to do), and not fatiguing to listen to in the slightest. The 600s are a bit more on the brighter side with slightly better imaging and clarity, but pretty similar still to them.

Overall I would recommend getting the HD 6XXs. They are the HD 650s but they cost cheaper. Had mine for over a year and besides the ear cups getting old, they’re just as good as when I got them. I haven’t heard much of the 660s, but they’re not as popular/loved as the 600/6XX/650. Currently the 6XXs are $220 on Drop, which is such a steal.

(PS, you don’t really need an amp and dac. Each to their own but my 6XXs run just as well out of my computer as they did from a Schiit stack. I just personally wasn’t able to find that big of a difference. And I don’t believe it is worth spending $200 on amps and dacs just to get a 5-10% difference in audio quality.)

If you do go for one of these, check this video out if you hate the strong clamp on them:

4 Likes

I have owned the 600, 650, and 660 (and 58X Jubilee FWIW). I’m not as in love with the HD6xx series as true Sennheiser fans are. In fact, I rarely use my 650s, but they are good at what they do and I’ll explain why I chose them over the other two.

For me, the 6xx series is all about mids, warmth, and non-fatiguing extended listening. The 660s sound like a 6xx series headphones doing its best impression of a non-Sennheiser mid-fi conpetitor which defeats the purpose of owning a 6xx series headphone. The 660s don’t have that same mid-centric warmth and laid back lusciousness, but they still have most of the veiled feeling and soft imaging so if you’re not getting what the 6xx series is famous for, but still dealing with it’s defecits what’s the point? I hope that makes sense.

Now, why did I go with 650 over 600? The 650 takes the mids and warmth of the 600 and adds better low end performance, IMO. On the occasions I do want the 6xx series sound, the 650s offer a more complete version of it that I find to be more satisfying with a larger range of music. The 600 is still a fine headphone and these thoughts are just based on my opinions and experience with my music catalog and listening prefs. Basically, I felt like the 650s were an improvement on the 600 and that signature sound and presentation so they stayed.

I haven’t tried the 6XX from Drop because I have the 650s already and I hear they’re the same headphones. If they are in fact the same, then obviously it would make sense to grab them instead of the 650s and save some scratch.

I hope this made some sense and if you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer.

4 Likes

the HD650 and HD660s are better suited to mainstream music with the HD600 having a sound profile that makes them more of a niche for classical / orchestral music. however, one thing about all three is how well they respond to having a warm DAC / Amp powering them.

1 Like

I agree with most reviewers that the 650 is the warmer one, while the 660S adds some much needed bass to the sound of the 600. The only reason I have the 660 is it is much easier to drive with a portable unit; at my desk I prefer the 600.

1 Like

I have heard the 6xx, but the 58x really was more enjoyable for me. I assume that means I am an open back philistine or something, but my music sounded better on the cheaper one. I think I paid about $130 for my 58x during the Christmas sale last year.

1 Like

Not at all. I actually prefer the 58X to the 6xx series as well. I pretty much only use the 650 as a reference set to check my band’s recordings with something other than the AKGs I use in the studio. I very rarely listen to them for kicks. The only Sennheiser I have ever purchased because I genuinely enjoy listening to it us the HD800S.

I have been thinking about grabbing a pair of 58X though…

Edit: The 6xx series sound is so well liked and ubiquitous that I think they make a great reference pair because of their popularity.

2 Likes

count me in the philistine camp too.

1 Like

at first I liked AKG K702 >anything Sennheiser
then I found 6xx with dekoni hybrids, liked that more than the 58x
have a backup 650 since it’s not worth selling lol

1 Like

I own or have owned the 6XX and 660s as well as heard the 58x and 600 and I agree with all of this. I don’t listen to them as much these days but I still own the 6XX because the mids are just too good on a tube amp. The 600 is better as a neutral reference / working headphone but the 650/6XX offers a little more low end which I also found more enjoyable for listening.

Yes, they are the same headphone, which Sennheiser has confirmed. The only difference is in coloration and packaging.

2 Likes