About tubes for a noob - Tube Amp Help

don’t worry he will get it in time, as he tries more things. For the moment, I think a $500 RebelAmp or Flux FA-10 are better suited for him. If he later decides he want to go further in that side of things he can always get a tube amp and start playing with tubes.

Hmmm, interesting. I have considered one of those in the past but I have a balanced set up. What are your thoughts about the Singxer SA-1. It appears to have balance inputs/outputs and would allow me to connect it into my setup and use my One Litter Bear switch. It costs more but may be a reasonable solution to experience this different sound of a different class of amplifier.

I am not familiar with the brand, but if it is a balanced RebelAmp as Zeos said, then go for it. For the moment I have all the setup single ended, so I have no interest in balanced gear. The reason why I avoided is because many times people will develop a balanced gear and then put single ended as an extra and is not the same quality. 789 is a good example for that. Also Chord is a good example that you don’t need balanced to have good sound.

From what I’m reading and what you’re describing… I would recommend an Asgard 3. Cheap, powerful, and outperforms much of the gear you keep highlighting.

As far as the comment about the single ended vs. balanced there is a reason why I keep the Vali 2+ around. Single ended just gets that amp or the RNHP and I’m QUITE happy. I don’t see a need for balanced on gear unless you need to get maximum power to the headphones (as mentioned, single ended tends to perform worse when added as an after thought generally speaking).

Tonality for the money, you can’t beat the Vali 2+.

Balance set up is currently allows me to also switch between my headphone amp and my speakers. Therefore it makes more sense. I can switch between speakers or headphones by turning a dial. It is a convenient thing.