Absolute noob needs speakers

Some use jumper wire to connect the binding posts in place of the metal plate that comes with affordable models. Reason being the metal plate is often not pure copper and is a poor conductor, seems logical havent got around to making jumper wire for my bookshelves to test the theory.

1 Like

They do fine and if the bass is boomy, they include foam bungs you can shove into the ports.

1 Like

I have a pair of RB42 speakers attached to my Tv via a Topping MX3 dac/amp, and it’s a fantastic set up.

Even my kids have noticed how much better the sound is than TVs with no external speakers or with soundbars.

That said: I have very little space because of the cabinet my wife chose for our TV stand, otherwise I think the smart thing to do would be to pick up an AV receiver to run the speakers. Ideally a used one, although it has to be new enough to support the optical out of my tv.

1 Like

If/when you add a sub, go for an enclosed front firing subwoofer. I think ported subs tend to be more rumbly, like what people like in an AV setup, and lend themselves more to disturbing cranky neighbors. [disclaimer: last statement was overly simplified and my option].

2 Likes