Active Monitor Speakers for HIFI (music)..Why not?

Have a pair of Yamaha HS5 and use them for my studio and to listen to my music. They sound good to me in either service. Any opinions on this subject.

Was looking a pair for my TV-set or second gear after i needed some $$$ for surround upgrade and sold the previews ones. Yahama HS5 was one option BUT they are not Magnetic Shielded and exposed screw ends… So no Yamaha then.
It actually was pretty hard to find a Cheapo set of active speakers at the same price range and at least some settings on the actual speaker unit and decent connections.

Bought the JBL 305P MKII in White. They look nice in the row of black G’s.

And a Big yes for Active speakers. They just make music sound awsome. Clean, neutral, dynamic and so detailed. You hear everything. No way going to back to passive…

Cumulative spectral decay is the only difference between speakers that deserve to be called “monitoring” speakers, and, well, just good, neutral-sounding speakers. Which means, they’re faster to stop producing a sound when the sound has stopped. So, faster transients. Which also means more micro-details. Apparently something like 1ms or less is basically perfection.

Here’s the CSD (Cumulative spectral decay) Waterfall graph, of KRK RP-10-3s (now I may know why some people don’t like them…):

Versus Swans M1 monitors:

And one of… Monitor Audio RX6… floorstanding speakers (whaaa?!):

Or even, KEF R107s… from the 80’s:

Obviously, with “monitoring” speakers, you also get a flatter response than, well, logitech crap, etc.

For comparison, here’s a random CSD waterfall from Dayton Audio (monoprice, cheap-but-good speakers… that’s a tweeter):

And a Dayon Audio cx120 woofer:

And now, headphones.
The 150$ Fostex T50RP planars, for monitoring:
Website: (The Fostex RPmk3 series headphones are successors to the reputed RPmk2 series, which for more than 30 years (including from the start of the T-series) have been used as reliable monitor headphones by professional recording studios across the globe.)

And, the 500$, audiophile-oriented, Hifiman Sundaras…

2 Likes

Took me way more time than I thought to write this, but after 4 edits, it’s done. :stuck_out_tongue:

JBL L100, 4000$ monitoring bookshelves.

And why the hell can’t I find ANY CSD waterfall graph for Yamaha HS5, HS8s, or even Adam A7Xs or T5Vs. Weird.

are there any charts out there for the Kanto YU6 or B&O Beo s9’s?