Ad900x Upgrade Recommendations

Hi, looking for some advice on upgrading my Ad900x. I currently own Phillips X2HR and the HD58x.
I’m looking for more open back headphones and was interested in going with the LCD-2c. What are your suggestions and recommendations on upgrading. I’m also currently using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo as my main driver and if any recommendations require an AMP i’m all for it.

What is the main use case for the headphones? What do you listen to and what aspects do you like? And lastly what are you thinking in terms of budget?

The main use for the headphones would be for gaming and music. I like a wide sound stage and imaging, bass isn’t too important to me and i like going for a neutral tone. I listen to Indie, rock, hip hop and rap. But my music taste is pretty open. My budget would be around $1000.

Do you game more of listen to music more, or is it about even?

Also would a even but a bit brighter sound be something that would bother you?

Also do you like a more laid back sound or a bit more aggressive sound

I’d say i’m gaming more, personally. But there are times when i do listen to music while i game.

I wouldn’t mind a brighter sound.

What would be an example of more laid back sound vs aggressive? Sorry i’m still relatively new to this.

So, I was thinking you might enjoy the dt1990 pro, as it has excellent soundstage and imaging for both gaming and music, and a more even signature that works well with most music. It can get a bit in your face at times and I wouldn’t say its a full on chill out can.

The lcd2 classic would be a more smooth darker sound that might not work well with most genre but generally wouldn’t be in your face and would be relaxed sound wise. The lcd 2 classic has a wider soundstage but it isn’t the best for gaming in my experience because of it’s limited imaging and the darker sound (rolled off highs), can make it hard to hear spatial queues in games or detail in some music

1 Like

Also I should say that your ad900x is a brighter signature for reference (but is somewhat lacking in bass where the 1990 is not frequency response wise). It’s also fairly intimate sounding as well

Your 58x is a more relaxed and intimate sound.

The x2 is a more wide and bassy sound (but somewhat unrefined and muddy to me)

1 Like

Understood. Yea! I was also saw that the dt1990 pro was something a lot of people on here were raving about.

Do i need an Amp with that as well?

Also for someone trying to get an Audeze where do you recommend starting? Or should i try something else? Planar wise.

I actually just got my x2 about a week ago due to them going on sale for black friday and i really enjoyed them when i first got it. But i just put my ad900x back on yesterday and the difference for me was night and day.

So for an amp, you can go with a couple different options that will slightly alter the sound based on your preference. You can use the scarlett as your dac for the amp too

Yea, the 1990 would be a balance between the sound signatures with more detail, better imaging and soundstage, and better build and comfort (for me at least)

For a planar, I think it depends on what you are looking for in a planar and what you really like. I think the audeze lcd-1 is nice, but it’s more of a music can. The hifiman sundara has a sound signature more in line with your ad900x. The audeze have a large grand sound that is pretty nice. The hifiman edition xx from (mass)drop has a very larger than life sound with an interesting presentation with very good layering

I guess you could get two headphones (possibly) and an amp in your budget

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks for those recommendations. I’ll do more research on what to get with that advice.

Amp wise, i don’t own one and don’t really know where to start. I was looking at the Schiit Jotunheim.
This is one part of the audiophile world i really don’t know a lot about yet. I’m also interested in tube amps but i have no knowledge on that at all.

hmm. I was thinking of something like a jds labs atom or monolith liquid spark. I think the highest I would recommend going for best value with the 1990 would be the schiit asgard 3 imo. I personally am not the biggest fan of the jot as I think it’s somewhat outdated at this point. Instead I would point you towards the smsl sp200 or monoprice thx 887. But I think those are somewhat overkill depending on what you pick for headphones as well

1 Like

Thank you! Your help pointed me in the right direction. I’ll hopefully update this sometime later this month when i get everything in. Thanks again!

What did you decide to go with?

I’m leaning towards the Dt1990 Pro wit the Schiit Asgard 3. But i do want to also get a Sundara into that as well.

If i go with the Sundara with the Dt1990 pro. i’ll get the jds labs atom instead of the asgard for my amp.

I really want to get a pair of planar headphones and that seems like a good start.

I think you may actually want to go with the sundara, 1990 pro, and actually a schiit heresy instead of the atom for the extra power for the sundara. The heresy is as clean as the atom with more power

Understood. That’s great to know. I didn’t even know that model existed.

Yeah I wouldn’t buy the older schiit, but the new asgard 3 and heresy or 3+ are pretty great from what I hear

1 Like