Advice: Getting into higher-end headphones

no, less a coiled cable would bother you in that case you’d want the “edition” as those have the straight cable

Okay. What is the “edition”? I have only seen the pro, premium, and limited edition black.

assuming premium then… some listings say edition others say premium… confusing really.

Oh yeah that is confusing. I was preferring a straight cable to attach a modmic onto the headphones to use as well. As I don’t think a coiled cable would work with that.

yeah, just search around for the premiums then… you can find them at the same price points

Okay. I have seen some stuff pointing towards the ATH-AD700x as well. What is your opinion on those?

cheap plastic, bass recessed, good for mids and highs, 3d wing system can pose a large hit or miss as it’s either quite comfortable or extremely uncomfortable, good for the budget, some separation of sound issues. normally… like $80

AD500x owner here: Signature is great for gaming.

They are super light, and when the headband-flaps work for your head size, they are super comfortable.

Yeah, I’m get this pair of BeyerD DT990 Pro with a modmic uni bundle I found. Give them a shot.

If I don’t like the BeyerD DT990 Pros, I’ll end up giving the AD700x a shot aswell.

I don’t particularly like them but I’m a fan of bass. They are good headphones but I just like the 900x and higher models more. Competitive games they are great casual gaming eh leaves me wanting more out of it… I’d take an x2hr or shp9500 over them

Depending on what music I listen to, yeah, I can see why you would pick something else.

Yeah, I listen to hip hop, rap, edm, rock, and alt.

1 Like

The ad series does vocals and treble really good but fails in the bass meanwhile 990 does bass and treble really well but has recessed vocals. 990 has more air than 700x so it sounds bigger in the stage and has ridiculous levels of imaging

Boils to preference really… both are good headphones

I use them for rock sometimes, for the other genres, I go for closed backs or PortaPro’s.

How big is the difference between the ohms of the 700x and the 990s?

700x is not very demanding at all and doesnt scale anywhere near the same degree as the beyers can with higher grade equipment. In some cases 700x is ampless

So, the 990s have a higher ceiling, as for improvement if I do get a separate amp?

700x is a fan fav due to low power demands, extremely lightweight, and super budget friendly while having a signature that performs exceptional in competitive fps. They have some drawbacks but it’s hard to beat their price tag. Many gamers use it because on pc most cases the motherboard can run them just fine… 500x is in the same boat but I believe even cheaper

The beyerdynamic in their respective high ohm states scale and synergize to crazy levels with expensive setups they can grow with ones setup. You gain noticeable changes when using different equipment this characteristic is found in many headphones some more than others. Ad1000x and 2000x are the ones that have the better sound and synergizing from my experience with them

Example going from liquid spark to asgard 3 on the beyers was a absolute massive difference. What was once warm and a bit intimate became clean, very spacious, with touches of warmth

So, you think my MoBo will be able to power the 990s? To a level that is good?