Advice: Getting into higher-end headphones

Your motherboard has an amp on it capable of driving the 250 ohms… you should be fine, if you wanted the 600 ohms I’d definitely say get an amp

Okay, that makes me feel better about it. I was worried about the ohms. I don’t need 600 ohms. As this is gonna be mainly for gaming and music listening.

Music is kinda the point of the 600 ohms lol. I prefer it over 250 but they are different for sure.

Yeah I get that, but I have always used 60 buck usb gaming headsets. So, even the 80ohm ones would probably be a big difference.

Would you say a modmic uni would be a good addition to a pair of headphones?

Also, I recommend getting an ifi zen dac. I have a motherboard with a similar dac chip as the one on your mobo, and it can only barely drive em at normal volume. Getting an ifi zen dac willl make the experience MUCH better.

Yeah modmics are perfect solution to make any real headphone into a gaming headphone

Is that just a DAC or is it a amp?

It’s both a dac amp combo. And it has a really good bass boost button

Is there any DAC/AMP combo that is good on a budget?

The zen dac is the best one lol. For 129, theres literally nothing better at this price range.

Alright. I was trying to stay under 250 for everything :laughing:

If you go for the 990 250 ohm you found on etsy, it should be fine total! The 990s are what I use for gaming as the treble really helps clear things up especially in games like valorant where you need to be listening closely. It helps bring out all the minute details

Yeah, I found a pair of the limited editions for 125. The ones on etsy sold. And I found a modmic uni for 40 bucks.

What is your opinion on any of these.

USB is much better but uni is fine.

Never do the 80 ohms they sound like crap imo

I second this… this is a good idea to get and if you need more power the ifi zen can(its a dedicated amp that stacks with zen dac) works beautifully

Cant check that at the moment will have to look at that later.

I got the uni for $35, so I couldn’t really pass up the deal.

I was looking at some that are like $50. Since they would probably be better than my onboard audio.

Xduoo Basic is around that price range too. Cleaner DAC and more power, just gotta run a USB wall wort to it along with the USB input.

Is there any that would work for sub $100?

Not a good idea to try and cut corners on amps and dacs when it comes to budgeting… those cheap units sub $100 are in most cases not worth it. Amps and dacs are more of an investment they last a very long and will very likely outlast your headphones