Advice: Getting into higher-end headphones

Ah okay. I didn’t know what I could get away with on that.

Yeah, like $130 is about the golden mark in terms of lower-end DAC performance and power.

If you buy a good DAC/amp combo, it’ll last you a while.

You could get used, but availability and such is up in the air.

Would I be plugging the Modmic into the combo with the headphones?

The mod mic should be wired to the mic or line in in your motherboard

Hold up, maybe I’m a bit confused.

We’re suggesting just DAC/amps for headphones with no mic capability.

You can just plug your Modmic into the computer as you already do (right?) and run audio into the DAC/Amp.

If you want a all-in-one unit, there’s the Schitt Hel.

Just saw your opening post. So, XLR mics need an audio interface. Or you can go for a USB mic that does all it on it’s own.

Hell, you might want to look into the Beyerdynamic Team Tygr bundle.

Yeah I second this. The team Tygr bundle has everything op needs. It’s really nice. Although, with an amp it would total of 429, I would just wait until I could afford it.

My idea right now was to get a good headphones, DT990. And get a used Modmic which I got now. And use these for now. Like a couple years. Then upgrade to a XLR mic. I really just want a really good pair of headphones for gaming and music, and a mic that doesn’t sound like the trash USB gaming mics.

Then the dt 990s with the mod mic and zen dac is good. For mics there are really good usb mics as well like the blue snowball.

Yeah, I have looked at those but I want the desk space tbh. And I would rather get an XLR setup if I am getting a stand alone mic. like the AT2020

That’s pretty good too, but your gonna have to get an interface or mixer, and tbh the sound quality difference isn’t that much better, but that’s just my opinion

Yeah, but this is in the future. Like a few years or so. Depending on how long the modmic lasts me. I saw some reviews for it and I was hella surprised at its quality.

1 Like

I’m going to look around and see if I can find the zen dac on sale or used.

Edit: Also could you give me some other recommendations for amp/dac units around the same price. See what else I can find.

1 Like

what? no, there is no mic input on most units. You’d just plug the uni into the pc. the modmics typically had cable clips too so you can clip it onto the headphones cable to make it a solid piece… I used to use some cable loom back when I still used modmics.

Yeah, that’s a big no from me personally… as someone who owns that microphone… just… no lol. You can get better microphone quality out of blue yeti or blue snowball which are cheaper as well as other microphones… it’s just a convenient bundle is all as the microphone doubles as a proper amplifier to the headphone itself.

regular usb condensor mics will work just fine… xlr isn’t necessary for just gaming really less you absolutely need a DYNAMIC microphone for some sound proofing.

XLR are more expensive and do require a good audio interface($100+ usually) it’s due to this I would just recommend honestly going with a USB microphone instead… less hassle, better budget, same good quality.

once you reach above $140 it’s not really worth while since you can get amps and dacs off the used markets for $70-$80 apiece that are entry level and actually worthwhile… I see liquid sparks and jds atoms go for $70 quite often

Yeah, my friend uses a AT2020 with a Behringer UMC 22. You can get a bundle that has everything except the audio interface for about $110.

I’ll do some snooping for those and see if I can find some. Where do you usually see that at? Reverb?

I just picked up the DT990 Pro Limited edition for $110 off reverb. :+1:
I posted in a reddit looking for the iFi Zen dac to buy from someone too.
And I already have a modmic on the way.

If you’re not doing studio recording bm-800 mics on Amazon can be had for like $28 with a boom. They sound better than any modmic I’ve heard. If it’s just for party chat for gaming or zoom meetings or something it’s way better than good enough.

Would a Soundblaster e5 be good to power the DT990? or the soundblaster g6?

While possible, unless you plan to do any “work” (live streaming, recording tutorials, etc.) not worth it.

Yeah I was only going to get that in the future to use while gaming with my streaming friends and to possibly delve into that realm some too.

1 Like

Fidelio X2HR (big sound open - $148) or AKG K371 (accurate sound closed - $119 for now). I have both. Great headphones that compete with $300 headphones. You can even DSP them with MathAudio, REW, APO for even greater neutrality.