Advice on buying a sub or not

Hi there,

I’m considering buying a gift for a music-lover I know, and would appreciate some advice.

At the moment he owns:

• 2 x Dali Zensor 3 speakers
  • Amp Denon POA 2400
  • Pre-amp Denon PRA 1100

He’s into a lot of bass-heavy music, so I thought a sub would be a good supplement. But it is not set up yet, so I haven’t heard it live, and I don’t know very much about specs and setup options. So here are my questions:

1. Would the Dali Sub E-9 F be a relevant supplement?

2. Would it be something he could keep for a while, or would It be outdated fairly quickly? My guess is he might buy better/supplementary speakers at some point during the next couple of years.

3. I found a used Dali E-9 F, the seller bought it in 2016, for about half price compared to a new one. If I decide on this, and I’m able to listen to it before I buy, is there any way a noobie like me can tell if it sounds okay? Are there reasons to not buy used when it comes to subs?

I’m excited to hear from you!

Yes a sub is definitely a nice addition especially if your friend likes music that requires deep bass, a 9 inch sub will definitely improve the setup but to balance the system probably something between 10/12inchs will be better

Min. 10in-12in sub, only thing better than one sub is a stereo pair. Also, a sub with high pass filter is what you want.