Advice on buying Hifiman Sundara Vs HarmonicDyne Zeus

I wish i could’ve tried the Zeus for a comparison, and i love how they look as well.
I have, however, tried the Sundaras, my friend imported one at great expense, while it sounds nice, the build quality was abysmal and he had to repair it on day one due to a poorly soldered, hair thin wire on one of the incredibly cheap connectors, i just can’t recommend them knowing about their poor build quality.

One of his repair log pictures:

He has, since then, upgraded to a Blon B20 (that also came into my hands for a while) and subsequently downgraded considerably to an SHP9500.

Thanks for clarifying…there’s been a bit of listening to a sound demo and dolling out advice as if gear has been heard in person happening lately without disclosure, so just want to make sure everyone’s got the right context for comments made.

I have an ifi zen dac and had the sundara for a good while. I think they do benefit from better amplification, but the zen dac is very good for them on balanced, just not the best match for my taste. You can keep using the ifi zen as a dac and upgrade the amp later.

I wouldn’t buy hifiman products from anywhere else than amazon, as they commonly have issues, my experience with hifiman customer service when bought from amazon has been quick and straightforward, my sundaras had absolutely no issues though.

Sundara’s sound delivery is out of this world, that is if you like a linear sound, I find them to be both bass light and treble tame but the detail for both of those is incredible regardless.

If you think you’ll need something with actual bass impact I’d go with the Zeus, which I haven’t heard, but are highly praised. Also if you have both big head and ears the sundara will be uncomfortable.

1 Like

Thank you for your valuable input my friend. It really helped me.

2 Likes