Advice on combined DAC/amp purchase around $500

I’m looking for a combined DAC/amp unit to replace a JDS Labs Atom+ stack. While I know the shortcomings of a combined unit, I like the idea of a combined unit to save space on my crowded desk. More simple setup, too.

My price range is around $500. My current over-ear headphones are the Audeze LCD-X 2021 and Sennheiser HD 6XX. Yes, I know the 6XX love tubes, but that’s an upgrade for another time. My preferred musical genres are classic rock, alternative rock, hard rock, alt-country, hard bop jazz and progressive house/deep house EDM.

I’ve narrowed my choices to the JDS Element III (perhaps the Boosted version) or the Burson Playmate 2. I’m taking a quick glance at the Topping DX5, too, but I’m probably shying away from Topping due to quality control and preferring to do business with an American company from which I’ve had GREAT customer service (JDS) or an Australian company (Burson).

Which of the three choices above do you think will be the best match for my LCD-X 2021 and HD 6XX?

Thanks in advance!

I would go for the boosted. Between the features you get and the additional power it would be hard to beat. Plus your LCDX will love it, I love mine on my EL2 stack.

3 Likes

I’ll second @Etroze86 . The boosted element would be my pick for sure. When I was deciding which JDS Labs product to buy I almost went with the Element myself, but I grabbed the El Stack 2+ instead.

I know you said that you had narrowed down your choices to these, but there is one other option you may also want to consider (if you haven’t already) if for no other reason than because it’s unique DAC topology sets it apart, the Hifiman EF400. It has ample power (4.4 watts pch), both balanced and single ended outputs, and the R2R DAC section measures well, but, more importantly, it actually sounds quite good as well. I imagine its natural hints of organic warmth would suit the HD6XX very well and I know it sounds great with some Audezes because my buddy that owns the EF400 has the LCD-2C and the LCD-3 and I’ve really enjoyed listening to either out of the EF400.

Just some food for thought. The Element will certainly serve you well and JDS is a great company.

1 Like

Thanks, @Etroze86 and @JAnonymous5150!

Yeah, I’m leaning toward the Element III simply because I think the boosted version will give me the power I need now and in the future. I doubt I’ll ever own a can – ahem, Susvara or Abyss – that needs a substation to power it. Plus, I dig my Atom+ stack and am SO impressed with the customer service provided by John Seaber and everyone at JDS.

Still, the EF400 is an option I didn’t consider … Time to dive into the rabbit hole for some exploration. :slight_smile:

2 Likes