Advice on mmcx cables

Hi all,

I’m looking for a nice replacement cable for my IEMs. I was planning on getting the Tripowin C8, but then I saw the Tripowin Zonie 16-core which is €12 cheaper. Does anyone know how these two compare and if the C8 is worth €12 more?

(Zonie: https://www.amazon.de/Linsoul-Tripowin-Silver-Earphone-0-78-3-5mm-Grey/dp/B07ZQC9MZB/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=tripowin%2Bzonie&qid=1583183180&sr=8-1&th=1)

(C8: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07SS9DB16/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?__mk_nl_NL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&cv_ct_cx=linsoul%2Bc8&keywords=linsoul%2Bc8&pd_rd_i=B07SQQ4M8X&pd_rd_r=a5e4b73a-bd5b-4c00-b060-f7fccb1c109c&pd_rd_w=f3Uv6&pd_rd_wg=RGmAo&pf_rd_p=6d84c7ba-ae72-4e53-b9a4-5df18ccb370e&pf_rd_r=3GCN6CNBNW7J8MTCM31P&qid=1583183230&th=1)

16 cores sound better than 8 core, but that is purely founded on the idea that more equals more better which usually doesn’t fly when it comes to these things.

of course this will vary based on your ear/head and I do not know about the specific cables you’ve listed, but between the 8 core and 16 core (TRN) cables I have I’ve found that although the 16 core is a nicer cable it tends to hurt the top of my ear when i wear it for extended periods, I would assume because it’s heavier. Again ymmv

1 Like

it depends entirely on if you atre what some in the IEM community maybe even the rest of ther audiophile community I just hear the term most in that space call cable sensitve. where you can hear the difference in cables especially if you have sensitive IEMs . my philosophy on IEM cables personally is if looks good and comes form a reputable company you should be fine. I use a zonie cable myself and its great build wise. cables are just another pitfall but one maybe worth looking into. I find that cbles matter most in the comfort department

I have no idea whether I am cable sensitive, since I’ve only tried the one that came with my FA1. The cable is decent but it has two flaws, the pre-shaped over-ear thingy is to wide, so it doesn’t properly hook behind my ear (I read at least one other person who also found this) and the cable terminates in a 90 degree end which isn’t ideal. Apparently the Zonies “Continue the highly appraised of Triowin C8”, but I wanted to check whether there wasn’t some horrible flaw someone knew about which causes this one to be cheaper than it’s “predecessor”. Are the over-ear parts shape-able and/or comfortable out-of-the-box?

I have 16 and 8 core, the 8 core feels more resilient and better made. I don’t buy 16 core anymore.

Damn you David! I was just ready to pull the trigger on the Zonies, and now you make me hesitate again.
I think I’ll be going for the Zonies still, since I am probably going to upgrade in the future to balanced cables, plus I still plan to get the Blon’s at some point so I’d also need cables for that, I don’t feel much like buying 3 $30 cables. So I’ll probably get the Zonies at least for the unbalanced 3.5mm mmcx which I will end up replacing within a year.
Also there’s a coupon, so the c8 is actually €14 more expensive, making it almost twice the cost of the Zonies.

1 Like

i mean you can grab yinyoo balanced cablesfor like $10 on sale

Yeah but I don’t have any devices with balanced output yet. So the upgrade to balanced cables would include a DAC (probably btr5) as well…

1 Like

Oh yeah the BTR5 is a very highly recommended bluetooth device for IEMs and headphones, or just a good amp/dac for the price too.

1 Like

having no frame of reference to other like devices, I really like the BTR5 and I use it daily. Really nice device

1 Like

I prefere the look and feel of the C8.

But i do have some QC issues with my Tripowin cables. My 3.5mm is fine but my 4.4mm cable has massive imbalance problems so i have to turn it back to Linsoul. Now i switched to a FiiO LC-C for 4.4mm.

Did you know this video?

Hmm I haven’t noticed any imbalance problems on my Tripowin Zonie. I used the LC-B series 4.4mm but I didn’t really like those, I much prefer the Zonie cable. Maybe I’ll go for the C8 when I need a new cable at some point.