AEON 2 OPEN vs. Ananda Comparison

Compared both for a little over a week.

Build------- Aeon

• AEON 2 Open - Impeccable build all around with premium materials.

• Ananda - Okay materials but kind janky headband adjustment system and Hifiman reliability are something to be aware of.

Comfort ------- Aeon

• AEON 2 Open - Lighter and a more secure clamp (which I prefer). Sits more naturally on the head.

• Ananda - Still comfortable but heavier with less clamp means more pressure on top of the head. Extends far down head so can give some odd jaw pressure. Better breathability than AEON.

Isolation ------ Aeon (both suck bc open)

• AEON 2 Open - Actually has some minor isolation for being open but not going to keep out much.

• Ananda - You might as well have a speaker taped to your head because there is zero and leaks like crazy.

Bass------ Tie

• AEON 2 Open - Slightly elevated (I prefer), good speed, a little soft, well extended.

• Ananda - Flat with slight midbass bump, good speed (about the same), softer sounding as well, extends down all the way, a little drier sounding, slightly better bass detail.

Midrange ------- Preference

• AEON 2 Open - Slightly recessed but close to a gentle U shape. Full and musical sounding. Good vocal resolution. Guitars sound more engaging.

• Ananda - Neutral to slightly forward. Definitely closer to flat response and a little more analytical sounding.

Treble ------ Ananda

• AEON 2 Open - Fantastic treble resolution and string instruments sound incredible. Has a bit of an annoying peak around 9.5k that can be harsh on poorly recorded tracks. The tuning foam can help this a little with not much detail loss. Not unbearable or anything.

• Ananda - Again fantastic resolution does fantastic with orchestral stuff. It’s a little smoother overall and less sibilance on bad recordings.

Soundstage ------ Ananda

• AEON 2 Open - I would say this is average in width prob around DT 990 width and somewhat intimate forward representation. Feels like a 4XX in terms of forward depth, a little in front of your face. Decent instrument separation but not class-leading.

• Ananda - About the same width but much better forward representation for vocals. It feels more like they are on a big stage in front of you rather than in your head. Ananda also has incredible instrument separation and everything feels like it has its own place in the stage. This can make singers sound distant at times so if you prefer intimacy this might be an issue.

Timbre---- AEON

Now I use this term to describe how natural something sounds I don’t know about the actual technical
definition.

• AEON 2 Open - Sound more natural and musical to my ears. Everything is full-bodied and seems correct.

• Ananda - Sound very natural as well but has a dryness to it that can make certain songs sound cold. Not bad though.

Dynamics ---- Tie

Both are softer sounding but nowhere near lifeless I would say its only noticeable in bass and certain drum hits but not bad. Ever so slightly behind something like a 58X, 990, 4XX.

Misc Notes ------

Ananda cable is borderline unusable surgical tubing. Aeon cable is decent quality but does get some interference if pressure is applied on it and microphonics when rubbing. Ananda packaging smells better. AEON smells like some weird rubber isle at home depot. Tuning foam on AEON tames treble in 3 intensity levels (with some detail loss I settled on the mid black level.

OVERALL-----

I actually think these make a good pairing and owning both would make sense. AEON more mainstream
music, Ananda for acoustic and orchestral stuff but still good for mainstream stuff. Personally I
prefer the AEON overall, the natural timbre and more fun sound do better with my music which is rock,
hip-hop, pop, EDM, metal, indie. Ananda is a better value at $200 USD cheaper but I still prefer the AEON.

4 Likes

I had the Anadas here on a loaner program and found their build lacking and just too thin for my taste.
I got and bought the Aeon 2’s and was going to send them back…but Dan Clark convinced me to let them break in and after 50 hours they became a very different headphone,pretty much what you describe.

They are amp sensitive for me…the solid state amps like the Schiit Asgard 3 and Magni 3 are just sublime with these cans, the tube amps are not that great of a match here…

Alex

1 Like

Dunno bout the bass being a tie there what did you pair the two headphones to? Were they both balanced?

my open X train wrecks the ananda in it’s bass tones. Paired mine to a liquid platinum balanced alongside a bifrost 2 the combo opens up the soundstage by quite a lot makes the bass much more warm and tight, brings the midrange into the mix a bit more and adds some warm tones to it, probably due to the tubes, and keeps that treble resolution with just a slight hair less on the treble though the tuning pads will alter that more.

Ananda is a neutral bright signature while the Open variation of Aeon is a V signature with Harman Curve neutrality

After the burn in phase the aeon becomes an absolute monster in my opinion. Though I got a good laugh at the note saying that even the tuning pads need a burn in that was something else.

Tube amps? yeah no bad. Asgard 3? sounds great. Liquid platinum? Sounds absolutely fantastic on the aeons so in my opinion balanced tube hybrids pair insanely well with this headphone. Aeons are what made me lose all interest in the ananda and edition xx

2 Likes

I do not have a balanced amp so I can not comment on that. My current chain is atom-OL dac, I have an Asgard 3-Modius on the way so I’ll update if any changes occur. The ananda bass might seem more articulate to me because of how spacious everything is like I can focus on it easier idk. Don’t get me wrong I prefer the AEONS bass because of the elevation and that gives a greater sense of impact. And yeah the tuning pads burning in I just ignored lol

2 Likes