AFUL Acoustics CANTOR

3 Likes

2 Likes

AFUL suggests that the stock tips be used and installed this way with the end of the eartips flush with nozzle, I can confirm this is massively important as the tuning is radically different doing it the conventional way.

Once you put the tips on like recomended the extra long nozzles are no different from a regular insertion.

3 Likes

Interesting, reminds me of the deep nozzle-to-tip insert that things like the 64Audio U6t have. I think that may help alleviate some of the fit worries people had with the design, although it may still not work for those with really narrow canals.

3 Likes

That type can be uncomfortable if its a deep insertion due to how hard that nozzle is.

5 Likes

That’s what I was wondering about; on the one hand, hard core to the fit but then again it may also be a bit like those Coreir tips that people seem to love. We’ll find out once more reviews and owners pop up, I suppose!

2 Likes

aa those, they are so damn overpriced for a pair of tips.

I do find it quite bad that Aful isnt transparent about neither the BA brand used nor the actual BA models at such a high price.

3 Likes

Agreed on the non-disclosure but as always, implementation is king!

3 Likes

Thanks for the thread. I am looking forward to your review Monk. I’m getting the Starry Night model, and hopefully, it’ll ship on Monday. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow. Very interesting.

I’m no IEM guru, but that’s the first time I’ve seen that kind of tip placement as a feature. Definitely soothes my fears about the length of that rectal probe, er, nozzle. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its definitely not going to work for alot as the nozzle is not really angled in the right direction either.

Super comphy for me now upon first insert but after a hour it starts to bother me and I normally have no fitment issues.

4 Likes

Soft bendable nozzles when? :joy:

1 Like

I figured this as I was studying the pics. Still, looking forward to your listening impression vid. :+1:

1 Like

Just to further clarify some more about fitment and why for some people this shell shape wont work or be uncomfortable.

Our ears naturally go back and in like the Plunge Audio is shaped and as you can see the Cantor nozzles go out and forward opposite.

From my understanding this is a inherent problem with 3D printing shells, and the reason we see alot of CNC machined shells and In the case of Plunge why he uses Powder Bed Nylon Laser printed.

With AFUL tech used in the Cantor only resin 3D printed would work unless they CNC manufactured the shell and dropped a 3D printed insert into the shell like Shanling did with the ME600.

2 Likes

Oh, man: That’s weird. There are better ways to dig wax from your ears, I think …

1 Like

For me personally outward tilted nozzle is potentially more comfortable. I rarely have fit issues with IEM, and one of the cases was with inward tilted nozzles. Not 100% sure if the tilt itself (and not other shape peculiarities) was actually the problem, but i must say that statistically outward tilted models win here for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This ones for you. At least you know your ears and what works!

2 Likes

Floppy nozzles for more kinetic energy. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just posted a short hack to modify the AFUL Cantor nozzles to be more comfortable and use any eartips

When I did this and switched to the Penon Laquer eartips OMG… Ummmmmmm

Takes the Cantor to a top tier IEM for me!

2 Likes

28 BadAss- BA’s Worthy Of Flagship Status

Lots of folks were eagerly waiting for this release for good reason AFUL being the technology forward thinkers they are, really had thier engineers working long hours on this one.

I would describe the CANTOR as,
FUN, ENGAGING, ACCURATE, RESOLVING, BALANCED, EXTREMELY COHESIVE, IMMERSIVE SOUNDSTAGE, TRANSPARENT, TAKING NO PRISIONERS KIND OF IEM.

:grinning: Bass is standout ,viseral hits with deep and substaining notes, while maintaining layering and texture. Dynamic Driver Sound with speed and precision of Balanced Armature’s.

:grinning: Highy Resolving and follows the source track accurately.

:grinning: Stage is very 3D and completely immersive with excellent spacial ques, with great depth and height ability.

:grinning: Mids are done completely neutral and balanced not elevated like a Harman Tuned IEM and come across as having natural tonality and pitch perfect tambre.

:grinning: FUN factor is high :grinning:

:grinning: Zero pressure build up with Internal and External venting tech.

:grinning: Highs That go on forever with a buttery smoothness that can pull out every micro nuances.

:grinning: Top notch included accessories like a beautiful case and cable with optional 3.5 or 4.4 choice of termination.

:cold_face: The extra long and unique nozzles require you to educate yourself to correctly installing eartips - not conventional just the tip method.

:cold_face: The longer nozzle stems might cause irritation to your ear if you can’t find the correct eartips Installed correctly.

:cold_face: I needed a nozzle mod to get to my happy place with tips and fitment.

Overall I feel AFUL is fully justified to charge $799 for the CANTOR.

There is alot of R&D , testing and money required to put out such a complete tuning worthy of a flagship status IEM and AFUL did just that.

If you need to sell a few / all your other sets to afford this one then I don’t think the Cantor will leave you wanting for anything.

Thank you AtFull & HiFiGo for faciliting the unit for review for the ToneDeafMonk

5 Likes