"Aiyima" ES9038Q2M combo DAC/amp - any reason i should avoid it?

Searching Aliexpress today i came across this interesting combo unit that at least on the surface sounds like a steal.

On paper it sounds super interesting, same DAC chips as the Topping D10s, but with optical inputs (which i consider essential) AND what seems to be a capable headphone amp thrown in as well.

I was looking to downgrade/sidegrade from my xDuoo XD05 Basic, this feels like the perfect option, so tell me, there’s any reason to avoid this?

Chip set won’t matter if it’s implemented poorly. It might be better to go for branded ones where ppl have heard and reviewed

I agree with mochimashu, this brand is an unknown.

get the Topping D10…or perhaps look for a Schiit / JDS Labs option on the used market, which would put their options into that price bracket.

Yeah, that was one of my concerns, they have some measurements on the bottom of the page, but i have no idea if they’re any good or not.

The Topping D10 unfortunately won’t do for me, as per my previous post regarding DACs, i require at least one toslink input (the D10 has a toslink output).
Also, i’m not in America, in my used market there’s no good options for this price point, thus why i’m shopping from China.

I think Topping/SMSL/Sabaj is on AliExpress as well? Sth like the SMAL M100 will have optical input (I think)

Yep, they are, in fact i was looking at the Sabaj D4 just a few minutes ago.
There’s also Loxjie which is a spin off from SMSL, i had their D10 model and bricked it trying to update the firmware, very unfortunate.

Both Sabaj and Loxjie belong to SMSL, whilst I don’t think they are very good, at least they don’t do anything grossly wrong

1 Like

Oh, didn’t know about Sabaj being from SMSL as well, that’s good to know!

The guys over at Headfi suggested i should get this one instead, opinions?

They also sent this listing with more specs, but its the same product.

Can confirm the first one is legit, at least the brand it is. Weiliang is like a one man DIY/clone maker, pretty well known in China.

1 Like

Took a look around and indeed, seems to be a pretty well regarded builder/shop, i even found this image of a bunch of them already built and working:

Specs are nicer than another more famous brands for the same price.

2 Likes