All Things Classical

Since a few people have showed interest with Organ music lately, let me share this new album I just discovered. Well recorded and great selection of Bach work. Enjoy!

And also there is this cool video from TwoSet Violin showing how to play an Organ

2 Likes

My favorite recording of Bach’s T/F in d minor.

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 - YouTube

Amazon HD

1 Like

And this as a really interesting alternative!

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 - YouTube

2 Likes

[Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18 - 1. Moderato - YouTube (Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18 - 1. Moderato - YouTube)d" My “deserted island” piece. This has good volume balance between piano and orchestra.

Amazon HD

I heard about Gustav Holst a few years ago on WhatHiFi, as they often use The Planets in their gear reviews.

I ordered the Telarc CD earlier this week & got it yesterday. On first listen I had volume up too much apparently, because on track 6, suddenly the woofers on my Tannoy XT8F towers began to make a very bad crunch sound, bottoming out on the bass drum strikes, but I quickly turned it down.

The dynamics are incredible on that recording. That has me enthusiastically ordering 3 more Telarc CDs, one being 1812 Overture, one being Firebird & the other Pictures…

I started to get Bolero, but it wasn’t on Telarc. It was on Decca.

I’ve listened to classical before but never really been into much. Mostly just to hear something different. I wish I had my dad’s hard case vinyl Beethoven collection but it disapeared long ago.

So for a relatively new classical enthusiast, am I on a good path with the Telarc CDs?

I will add, I think some 1970s classical movie score composers, especially in scifi, were influenced by Gustav Holst: Planets.

1 Like

@AntiWoke Hee, hee. When Telarc first came out they had a warning label about blowing out your speakers! WIDE dynamic range! I have several of their “sampler” CDs.
Be especially careful with the 1812, as they used real cannons. Firebird and Pictures at an Exhibition are both great as well. PS recording full orchestras and dealing with various
hall acoustics was/is a real art…and two other major labels are Decca and Deutsche Grammophone. Enjoy!

1 Like

I like how Telarc print all the info in the sleeve about the recording engineer, the conductor, the orchestra, the venue, the microphones, the tracking machine…the who, how & where & no electronic processing. No compression, no EQ, no outboard reverb.

What I’m wondering is if they are using any spot microphones, like on that bass drum for instance to get that huge dynamic impact, or is everything captured with midfield or farfield room microphones & the bass drum is so huge it just fills the venue with a deep boom when struck. That info they don’t provide.

1 Like

They do get specific (I like that too) but I don’t know any co. who gets That specific, lol.
The CD I have is with Previn and the Royal Philharmonic and is probably my favorite recording of The Planets. The sample CDs I mentioned earlier contained single movements or excerpts, so a wide variety of the “good stuff” that shows off their recording quality. Theme from Superman was included on one. Fun.

2 Likes

Once you get familiar with The Planets, this is a nice change in perspective. As I understand it, Holst composed The Planets on piano.

81kcQGb4fnL.SS500

1 Like

Really got swept away by this this morning. It appears to be pretty old, but that doesn’t matter. It still got me!

1 Like

The cannons on the Telarc version of 1812 Overture really gets the woofers jumping on my Tannoy’s, & thats just at moderate volume level.

Something I didn’t expect, is The Planets, at the same volume level, 3 o clock, is considerably louder than 1812, Pictures & Firebird. All are Telarc; while remaining a safe level.

Yes 3 o clock, on my preamp is moderate volume level. It’s a Singxer SA1. Once going past 3, then volume increases a great deal, more & more until maxed.

I’ve not done a full listen yet to my 3 new CDs. I only listened to 1812 track 1 all the way through. I have certainly heard all the 1st tracks before, somewhere on all 3 CDs though. I’m thinking they were used in movies.

Thought you’d get a kick out of this!!! WaveTheory’s Test Tracks 002: Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture by Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops #shorts - YouTube

Heard this on the way into work this morning. Really nice!

I will look for it tonight when I get home so I can hear the entire concerto.

I absolutely love Trevor Pinnock and the English concert.

1 Like

I keep coming back to this recording for Dvorak’s 8th Symphony.
Istvan Kertesz with London Phil. Good interpretation and very well-recorded…
Decca again, lol. Sorry, no link found.

Did an analysis paper on the first mvt. while in college and fell in love with it, tho an earlier recording at that time. Had to hunt for a recording where the first flute entrance is up to the correct pitch!

Amazon HD has it in 24/96
PS Years later I got to play it (timpani.) A dream come true!

1 Like
1 Like

Should be interesting. Will ck. I also have a playlist of some favorites from movies.

The thing about this list is it’s mostly action pieces. I haven’t heard the entire list yet, but I listened to many pieces. No duds.

1 Like

I just spent some time reviewing all the posts on this thread I started quite a while ago. Some really good suggestions and comments. I have been a bit
out of the loop lately…spent the last 6 months tryiing to get high blood pressure
spikes and headaches under control. After 3 trips to the ER, trying a number of
additional meds (5 at one point) and some serious work on my own including
CBD oil, Flaxmeal and anxiety counseling I have been able to finally get there
after getting off several of the meds and getting my brain back.
I’m getting on in years, but plan to stick around a while…streaming has given us SO much new music to try!
I do hope this thread continues and more people discover the wonderful array of beautiful, inspiring, tone color rich music that classical music offers.

Tim

1 Like