All Things Classical

Apple Music Classical is here - Apple
It looks like Primephonic with Apple now taking credit of course.
If you’re looking for an awesome search/sort function this will be it, imo. Should
be great for those newer to classical music, as they had good lists for exploring
the various periods and also have podcasts.
Says android “soon” but no mention of Windows. Wonder what the quality will
be and what it will be with Android/Windows, as I have no Apple products…yet, lol.
Very interested in comments from those who try it, especially regarding the audiio quality vs other services.

1 Like

Sadly not for Android yet :sob:

1 Like

Somehow I’ve missed this one before.
Brahms, Wang, Gergiev, Munich…Stunning quality…yes, a bit echoey, but
some great camera work.
What a treat!

2 Likes

Very nice. Although not her best in my opinion. I don’t know, I just didn’t get the energy that I usually experience when I watch her play. The audience was pretty deadpan as well. Maybe it’s just me. I’ll have to watch it again and see if I have the same reaction.

1 Like

Interesting…I felt that a bit too, after viewing the whole thing. Especially the
audience!!!

I laughed so hard when i saw the waddle on the long gray haired violinist. LoL!!!

1 Like

Frankfurt Symphony posted this today. Lovely!

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

Oh, man. This. And if ever there was an argument for good audio equipment…

2 Likes

Davies’ vocals really caught me off guard, got me to look up countertenor now, fascinating.

I’m a fan of very very little contemporary Christian music, but thanks to Bach and Handel, that’s not a problem.

1 Like

I don’t think this Handel piece is religious. Handel did write some sacred music but most of his stuff is secular. Bach, on the other hand, wrote primarily religious stuff, I believe.

1 Like

Speaking of Christian music:

2 Likes

On the drive into work this morning, my local classical station played this wonderful piece, and opened my eyes to a violinist I had no heard play before.

She is really good! Then, of course, I had to find more once I got in! Here is a nice performance. I will definitely be seeking out more of her work.

1 Like

She has a newer Vivaldi 4 Seasons which I like as well. Thanks for this one.

1 Like

Yer welcome, buddy. Nice to see your post. Haven’t “seen” you in a while! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, some family issues. Hope to spend more time listening and sharing.

2 Likes

Starting this cool, rainy Saturday morning with the windows open and a crisp breeze in the house. Added to this loveliness is this 1993 Chicago Symphony recording on the Sennheiser HD800S.

Listen to the release The Reiner Sound by Fritz Reiner on Qobuz Open Qobuz

1 Like

I spent a luxurious Saturday morning on the bedroom bomber system and broke out the Sundara and the Karajan box set!

I did CDs 2 and 3, which covers Symphonies 3-6. I had a great time handling the discs and operating the cd player. There is a certain ritual to it which I very much enjoy. And the music - Incredible. I enjoy these more every time I play them. Beethoven was an amazing composer. 5 is definitely my favorite as of this moment. Man, what a ride. The tempo seemed more crisp and the playing was more impactful in this performance than other renditions I have heard. Then after all of that, you get number 6, which is beautiful and flowing and tells this amazing story. Karajan’s interpretations are frankly the best I have heard. Great morning.

2 Likes

@Raptor168 As I read this on this early Sunday morning I am hearing in my
mind the 4th movement of the 5th. Such a glorious beginning with that major
chord, then driving forward in relentless joy and power. His “internal rhythm” is
just unstoppable and present in the whole movement and Karajan/Berlin got it
right.
I “got” to play it (Timpani) several times and remember once that as that final
roll/chord ended I felt for a few moments like I was literally about 3 inches ABOVE the floor. Truly a transcendent moment that I treasure!
I trust you will enjoy your boxed set for many years to come.

2 Likes

Really good recording, imo. Reminds me of my old Telarc sampler, which
included this one.
AMHD>BF2 OG>Loki mini+>Asgard 3>DT880/600

2 Likes