All Things Classical

Qobuz > roon > Cambridge Audio CXN V2 > Freya S > Vidar (Monoblock) > Klipsch R-620F

1 Like

Qobuz > roon > Cambridge Audio CXN V2 > Freya S > Vidar (Monoblock) > Klipsch R-620F

Iā€™ve had this album for many years and is among my top classical ones, too. Karajan has been my favorite conductor as well.

2 Likes

Something new to me tonight.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Another off and on rainy day. Our Scrub Jays are coming for peanuts between showers! Enjoying a cup of Christmas Blend tea and this magnificent recording on the bedroom system

Fantastic. Let it rainā€¦

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that is a good oneā€¦in my library.

7 is up there for me. Like really high.

ā€¦But only the version with Zander conducting because I feel his interpretation wrt tempi captures ā€œitā€ better.

Slower tempos on this (and 5) I feel are too reverent. My gut tells me Beethoven wanted to communicate about the experience of Homo Sapiens, and not pump up the grandeur of THE ORCHESTRA.

Itā€™s still good music, and this is my 2 cents, but I havenā€™t seen anybody get too opinionated around here and I wanted to share mine.

3 Likes

This album is well recorded and has been in my library for some time.
Hadnā€™t played in a whileā€¦glad I did tonight.

2 Likes

That is an interesting take. I am not very knowledgeable with regards to classical music. I am just now at this point in my life listening to classical with more focus and I am enjoying it a lot. Your post makes me want to do some reading and see if I can learn more about the man. Perhaps it would give me added perspective and insight into the music.

1 Like

Upcoming live concert.
Frankfurt always has great audio and video!
Jan. 26 at 1pm CST

1 Like

Wikipedia will do for that. See below.

I think it has a lot to do with imagination. There are no vocals, so itā€™s up to you to make the music make sense.

Kind of like how Walt Disney believed he could get people to love/appreciate classical if he used his animations to bring the music to life, you have to be Walt Disney for your own mind.

It has nothing to do with music theory, what instruments make up an orchestra, what Beethovenā€™s favorite breakfast was etc. Itā€™s critical, imaginative perception.

The faster tempi I mentioned earlier make that process so much more straightforward and convincing for me.

Listening to the same recording a few times in a short span of say, a week, also helps.

1 Like

A new album that AMHD tossed my way.
Interesting and well recorded. 4 songs. Emerald and Stone has
deep bass added.
I like Crystal Tears, but all are good, imo.

2 Likes

Since we were having the discussion on Beethovenā€™s 7th, it suddenly ocurred to me that I have yet another version of it in my collection. I have the place to myself for a while today, so I fired up the big system in the living room, made a fresh pot, pulled out my box set and gave it a listen.

I have to say, I love this box set. Itā€™s Karajanā€™s 1963 Cycle. this is a really good recording and is completely awesome in 7.1 surround. Integrating the SU-8 DAC into this system was a great move. Von Karajanā€™s interpretation is remarkable but different from Kleiberā€™s. As to preference, I am undecided at this time! I enjoy them both. I need to play Kleiberā€™s 7th here on the surround system to get a fair comparison.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll bet!!! Have fun.
PS to muddy the water a bitā€¦Dave Hurvitz likes Szell/Cleveland on Sony
This one is a 24/192 remaster but is Sony. Canā€™t find orig. on AMHD.
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07DFBXNKS?ref=dm_sh_bf3d-f459-4784-6060-57329

1 Like

I shall look into it for sure. A fun thing happened this morning. I was messing around with the bedroom system and because I use the V40 to stream in there their system knows itā€™s talking to a mobile app and i get more options than when I am using the PC. I found Kleiberā€™s 7th - in Dolby Atmos. And then, in a first, I brought in the HE1000.

Pretty spectacular. So good in fact I think I am gonna leave them in there for a while. The Dolby Atmos is pretty neat as well.

2 Likes

@Raptor168 Hi, Dennis. Thought maybe youā€™d be at the game! Iā€™m sorta
watching as I type this. Re Beethovenā€¦the Kleiber and Karajan are so different
tempo wise. So many others as well. I still donā€™t have a favorite 7th.
Which led me to thinkingā€¦I discovered quite a while ago the Rachmaninov
piano concertos done by Valentina Lisitsa and Londonā€¦Decca. Though the
2nd is wonderful by most anyone, I found something special in this 1st, especially the slow second movement. I have posted it before. I have listened
to other performances, but this one just ā€œspeaks to me.ā€
My point isā€¦in all our searching, exploring, sharing, itā€™s important to ultimately
ā€œlistenā€ to our heartā€¦our emotionsā€¦and go with what touches us as an individual, regardless of what others may find works for them.
So now you discovered the Hek works on another system and Dolby can add
to the experience there. What fun. It works for you now. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
PS yes, the mobile app and desktop are slightly different adventures!

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B00BMV3TGI?trackAsin=B00BMV3U8A&ref=dm_sh_311d-7dcb-f01c-f9ef-2681d

1 Like

I have made it home! Pouring rain the whole way, an hour and 5 minutes of it. So, a glass of Josh Reserve Cab and this!

This selection was kinda shooting from the hip. Turns out Iā€™m a good shot! This is really nice. On speakers, of course. Cheers!

2 Likes

2024 classical grammy nominations. I have heard a few, but have some considerable listening to do, lol.

GRAMMY Awards Announce 2024 Classical Music Nominees (theviolinchannel.com)

1 Like

Quick addendum re Grammy winners. Iā€™ve listened to at least parts of them.
Stand outs for me are the Ades: Dante and also Rough Magic by Roomful
of Teeth. Best vocal creativity Iā€™ve heard since The Bobā€™s!!
Almost all are 24/96 and engineering marvels. One such is the Rite of Spring
with Salonen/San Francisco, even tho not the winner. Amazing soundstage width, depth and micing in general. (And a good performance, of course.)
Rite is not an easy listen for manyā€¦remember itā€™s a ballet of primitivism, but
for a taste of the quality one can try parts 2, 3 and 14. I must add AMHDā€™s gapless playback was flawless.
Yuja on The American Project is, well, Yuja!! Amazing.
PS some interesting things found in the Jazz category too.
I did ck out Taylor Swiftā€™s ā€œMidnightsā€ too. Should sound great on peopleā€™s
car stereos. :wink: