All Things Classical

After a fun and challenging day doing a maintenance op on the main system in the living room, I am at last relaxing post-meal with a glass of Tawny Port and this.

Great album. I have this in my local collection, but I am streaming to test the performance of a new Internet router I installed today. It’s fantastic. There seems to be more depth and clarity overall in the presentation. Well worth the effort. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Sneaking one in before I call it a night. This a great piece. Beautifully played.

2 Likes

I found myself waiting around this Sunday afternoon.
So I typed “Benjamin Zander” into YouTube and watched this:

You might remember the name; I mentioned his work on Beethoven’s 7th (and 5th)…
Never heard the man speak a word prior to today.

Is it a coincidence I connected with his presentation as emphatically as I connect to his musical performances? The man is brimming with passion.

This changes how I think about Conductors.

2 Likes

/rant @Raptor168 !@#)(*!!! using deceptive images of the music rather than embedded links to examples on YouTube or other popular music services. LoL! you bugger you!

1 Like

Just listened to this and it’s beautiful.

3 Likes

Did someone say, “Once more, with feeling.?”
Note that the composer MTT is right there at the beginning.
Also on her grammy winning “American Project” album, but I
really enjoy watching her play and feel this!

3 Likes

Check out Simon Rattle Conducts Beethoven by Sir Simon Rattle on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0BG5N8FT2?ref=dm_sh_FvTuJEBXdXZ4rJHivWhGbp5Dw

Listening to it right now, but initially was listening to a thin sounding early 80s version of the 9th Symphony. I don’t even remember which other than it was with Karajan conducting. This recording with Rattle at the helm sounds much better, as in not thin sounding.

2 Likes

Ha! Found it on Amazon. Nice find.

I am anxious to listen to number 9. I have this special box set in my collection of Karajan’s '63 cycle:

It might be fun to do a back-to-back and see how/if they differ.

2 Likes

So, I’m well into the deep dive. I have to say, I am enjoying this collection very much. Seems I am more into the concertos at the moment, so I am very much enjoying this work

I feel like this would make an excellent addition to the collection if I could find it to purchase. Thanks again, @AntiWoke for hipping me to this. :+1:t2:

1 Like

While I like Karajan for drive and interpretation, I always seem to come back
to Chailly/Leipzig Gewandhaus for recording quality and dynamic range.
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B006AKS2Z4?trackAsin=B006AKS3JY&ref=dm_sh_f6b6-5904-b85c-433d-7ece9

The Chailly Beeth 9 also has this King Stephen Overture…great full bodied sound, yet really excellent detail and separation even in fast passages.https://music.amazon.com/albums/B006AKS2Z4?trackAsin=B006AKS3DU&ref=dm_sh_e230-2efb-b385-4826-93f12

3 Likes

I’m going to check these out a bit later. Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Hello…a couple versions of Elgar’s Nimrod I’ve enjoyed

Beautiful Choral Arrangement

The version I like best…made for the 2012 London Olympics, with the shipping forecast overlaid

@prashv I really like Voces 8 and have several albums in my library.

1 Like

Roon staff put this playlist together. Very good selections and a nice way to start the day off.

2 Likes

Check out LSO at the Movies by London Symphony Orchestra on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0B7SCG3SX?ref=dm_sh_aUsOXeoSCj3dQzXzUEeSIsaWN

Listening now if this was on another thread here.

I have both of the TA26 fired up on both of the 600ohm DT990 Premium so my girlfriend & I can listen together.

3 Likes

Very cool. I noticed the amp on the right isn’t running the stock 6N5P tube. Can you detect a difference in the sound?

It’s late. Or is it early? Been visiting with my big brother and Sis in-law. Great day. Can’t sleep for some reason, so I’m kickin it with something from the local collection. One of my favorites.

This lady is something special. The London Philharmonic Orchestra is spot on as well on this record.

Local FLAC > Schiit Bifrost 2 > Singxer SA-1 > LSA HP-2 Ultra

2 Likes

All tubes are stock in both of my TA-26. I don’t know why they look different. I ordered both at the same time. Both amps sound pretty much identical, or at least there is not enough variation to really notice. The volume knobs are pretty much identical in output too.

1 Like

Oops, my bad. They looked different on first glance. Again, cool setup!

They are different looking. One has a little plate in it on the top & the other one doesn’t.

1 Like