Amazon Music Lossless Launched @ No Extra PRICE!

Yah mahn. The nice thing is if you want to back out the change it’s only a few clicks and the codecs etc. seem to do a reset, and you are out of the feature. I think I’m gonna leave it on for a while. I am enjoying it so far.

1 Like

dolby access or dolby atmos app for windows is pretty nice for some things. i think it’s $15 and theres some different presets in there for different things. some do wonders for certain headphones. also theres like a 15 day free trial too

2 Likes

I have been using Amazon Music HD for a while. Really enjoy it and for the price (with prime) can’t beat it!

My only issue I haven’t been able to figure out is just how loud it is. I turn loudness normalization off because I don’t want to compress the music quality. Mostly however, all songs are just too loud. I typically have the app turned to anywhere between 15-30 when I have it on in the background. If I am just listening to music then I turn it to probably 45-55. That is the loudest I will go though otherwise its just too loud. Protect your hearing and all!

Anyone else have this issue or found why it is so loud?

1 Like

Well, very interesting! I did some playing around with the Spatial 3D stuff today using my V40 (Android).

For mobile use, I took out my trusty Beyerdynamic Lagoons and tested the solution connected over Bluetooth and wired. So using my WiFi, the V40 streams and sends the music to the Lagoons over bluetooth. Untethered spatial music… Fucking Fantastic! I found that Pink Floyd’s “Momentary Lapse of Reason” was on offer, so I fired that up right away.

Oh my God! It’s great. Immersive is an understatement. There is so much going on. Things are happening everywhere! Sometimes it’s almost a bit much. But overall it’s fascinating. And you are untethered, so I can move about and enjoy this incredible music. I thought that using the Lagoons wired sounded even a bit deeper and more spacious. Special effects seem to really resonate when wired. Hard to beat being untethered, though, when you are mobile!

Then I went into the station and connected via the Cinnamon cable to to the Frost. Holy shit. I’m impressed. It’s not something I am gonna want to go with all the time, but I will be using and enjoying this new feature quite a bit for sure.

5 Likes

Produce like pro got more good interviews of engineers mixing in atmos and spatial audio.

1 Like

Well, apparently I have gone down the Atmos rabbit hole when I wasn’t 100% ready to do so! I have been messing around with the system all day, installing and reconfiguring etc. low and behold Amazon music wants to do an update. OK sure, let it go ahead and do that, I had just reconfigured my audio interface anyway.

So it goes ahead and does its update and suddenly I notice there are new Dolby Atmos spatial audio options for “any” headphone. For the PC! Hmmmm… being the adventurous soul that I am, I clicked it. One thing led to another and before I knew it I had Dolby Atmos installed and on 7 day trial!

A few things about this… This Dolby Atmos has completely taken over the sound settings. Peace EQ no longer works. But holy shit, I don’t think I care! I’m liking what I am hearing so far. Atmos offers three canned EQ settings, which all three are really nice, plus you can configure three custom EQ settings. I don’t know yet if I can now play spatial content on AMHD, but it’s enhancing the normal stream, too. Freaky!

Things are happening that I can’t explain, man. I need to give this more time so I can wrap my head around it. I’ll tell you one thing, though - this new SA-1 amp is really coming on. The detail retrieval is fairly stunning, and with the addition of the Atmos things are even more interesting.

More to come, but this is freakin cool!

5 Likes

Sorry if this is spamming or hijacking but i think its informative. getting a sense for apple atleast is really getting behind surround sound. Not sure if mixers are embracing it because it gets them work from a tech giant or genuinely sold on the format, Maybe both ? how much is amazon invested in turning surround sound/spatial into the biggest adoption since stereo. Is it or quadrophonic ?

I remember this :+1:

3 Likes

Think object atmos/binaural is the evolution to stereo because it can mix down to mono and plays back on headphones.

It sure does! This Dolby ‘mix’ that is being delivered to my headphones is impressive, even on non-Atmos certified streams. The Atmos movie trailers are freakin sick! If Amazon can deliver spatial audio that sounds like that - I’m in.

The headphones can do depth of field close near and far, speakers cant. And the headphone binaural tecnology is going to improve rapidly without worry of the original binaural recording needing to be remixed as the tech moves forward form what i gather. So for team home theater we are the cupholders in the tesla.

do… basically soon we won’t know what is and isn’t real.

2 Likes

The roger waters concert is going to get alot of freak outs when hes not actually performing on stage. That pink pig is going to be terrifying.

Oooooh, do you have a link to that? That could be fun! When you said Pink Pig my mind immediately went to the Pink Floyd show I saw many years ago at the Oakland Coliseum. When that Pink Pig flew out of that box - Yeah, freak out is a word that fits! LOL! One of the better shows I have ever been to, btw.

Theres going to be alot of bad acid trips. lol envision staduims showing AR movies/ concerts/plays/gaming. The audio component might be a combination of PA cellphones and earbuds.

Oh Boy, fun stuff ahead!

1 Like

Nice pic :laughing:

1 Like

Finally gave up waiting for Spotify HiFi and switched over. Happy so far and I’m saving $2 a month…

1 Like

LOL, thanks! When I saw him I thought “That is what I’m feeling right now!”

1 Like

I have been trying some of the Dolby Atmos “Sample” tracks that I have seen on offer, and so far… it’s kind of a mixed bag. Some are really good, and some are meh. I find that the ones that are “meh” are that way because the tracks seem to be a bit overdone. And I didn’t actually care for the music being played. I think I will wait and see if some major artists start making music with the technology and then give it a more thorough trial. It’s early days so this is to be expected.

Regardless, I am still chewing on whether or not to keep the Dolby access on. The more I use it the more I’m liking it. I just wonder if it will get even better with more features once I actually purchase it. There are some things it does better then just having the Peace APO working and in some areas I like the Peace solution better. It may come down to a coin flip! At this point in time I am probably going to keep it. It does seem to playing nicer wit the laptop than the Peace APO was, so that is a plus.