Amp/Dac for HD800s

I would like amp thats got good separation, clear soundstage and analytical details for HD800s. Ideally amp and dac combo that includes a good dac, or a good amp and a separate dac. Playing mainly valorant, csgo where the positioning given by the enemy’s footsteps and shots firing is very important.

Is this only for gaming? And what budget?

Yes only for gaming, so not really needing the tube for warmer signature, but rather a detailed and analytical to pinpoint. Budget < 600

Hmmmm, I would have wanted to mention something like a little labs monotor and allo revolution dac but that’s going to be past 600 but would be pretty worthwhile (you could downgrade the dac to something like an atom dac or earmen donald dac and scoot by possibly). At that lower price point, I might be inclined to suggest something like a geshelli erish (which is pretty forward, analytical, and sharp imaging) and wait for their upcoming dac (or find a jnog or enog) or go with a schiit jotunheim 2 (which is still fairly neutral leaning although less aggressive and sharp) with a dac like an earmen donald to lean it a bit more cleaner

The 800s is a fairly picky headphone and I wouldn’t really want to skimp on source gear for it ideally

Also for gaming is it better to use balanced or normal cable?

You just use whatever the amp is terminated in, if you get a single ended amp you don’t have to worry about it, if you get a balanced amp you want to run it balanced. Balanced is more a design choice, something that has a balanced out or in doesn’t mean it’s going to be better than something that doesn’t

Not to side track his recommendations but… have you bought the hd800S and just looking for an amp and dac for it? Have you ever tried a bright headphone like this?

Not quite sure why you would buy an 800s for valorant and csgo… they can’t even make use of like… 50% of what the 800S is capable of due to the lacking sound engine and how small they are in regards to shooters… kind of a waste of money if you ask me… plenty of cheaper options that will perform just fine for these games.

nonetheless… I agree with m0n on the geshelli or something like jotunheim for the headphone…

Yea I bought it for a good deal of 1.1k brand new. Also bigger soundstage isn’t just about the map size, let me give you an example. When there’s multiple enemy coming in one direction, soundstage will widen there space between each other allowing me to hear exactly where they are better.

This is separation. Soundstage is how far something is placed and imaging is how accurately placed that sound is. Lacking separation causes sounds to get melded and can really mess with things. I’m not saying the 800s is bad its absolutely not just that it’s like absolute overkill lol. Still it’s not a bad price and if you enjoy it use the hell out of it.

I would go with with the jot honestly or the rnhp for that headphone. Good for its signature imo