AMP/DAC Physical Setup

Just got Topping DX3 PRO+ as a amp/dac solution. Currently plugged in via usb and the amp’s great but I can’t seem to able use the dac simultaneously. Will I have to connect an RCA or an Optical Cable in order to do so?

1 Like

I think I need a bit more info to answer your question. What do you mean by wanting to use the dac simultaneously? Do you have a second amp or set of speakers that you wish to connect? In which case, you will need to connect the RCA output to that amp/speaker setup. I haven’t used the DX3, but it is quite common for such devices to mute their line/preout when a headphone is plugged in as well. Some Topping units have had switches to manually toggle betweent the head out and preout instead of that automatic switching.

2 Likes

Topping can work in 3 modes - Headphone, Headphone + Line out with knob working and Line out with fixed output. Two latter would be the ones you are interested in. You switch mode by fast double click on knob.
One thing to note, in the 2nd mode plugging the headphones does not switch off the output stage! For me it is terrible design choice as I cannot imagine a scenario when I would want both to work simultaneously, but that may be what you want.
And you need to connect your amp or speakers to RCA outputs

1 Like

To elaborate on what I meant-

I want to use the unit as an amp and dac at the same time for my headphones on PC (as if it were a stack) and I’m unsure to whether or not I am, since “DSD” doesn’t light up on the top right (PCM does).
Considering a stack setup is rca-rca for the amp dac and usb,optical,coaxial for the dac to the PC I’m thinking that it may be the same for the sole unit as well. Most likely I’ve misunderstood something.

Upon further inspection I came to the conclusion that it works as intended. Thanks for the help!

1 Like