Amp+Dac Recommendations

Hello.

I’m starting to consider my endgame headphones, and am ready to buy a nicer amp + dac should I pull the trigger on high-end headphones. I’ve been googling around and here’s what I’m leaning towards:

• Schiit Asgard 3 + Modi Multibit 2
  • Topping DX3 Pro+
  • Something else?

My budget is around $500ish, but I’m flexible.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the DX3 Pro+. Curious if the Schiit stack is worth the 2x price tag.

About me:
I have a handful of headphones already, ranging from cheaper Fidelio X2s to HD600s. I like pretty much all music, so my listening is all over the place. I do probably listen to classic rock, hiphop, pop, and alternative the most though. I also use easy-to-drive headphones for gaming sometimes without an amp. If I did decide to use high-end headphones for games in the future, latency would be a concern, which is why a stack seemed like a good idea compared to a dac/amp combo.

As I mentioned, I’m starting to consider end-game headphones and would like to already have a nicer dac and amp (currently have a cheap Fiio). Current end-game considerations are: Arya Stealths, HD800s, and LCD-X.

1 Like

For the Arya and LCDX I would go JDS Labs el stack. My EL2 stack delivered enough current for planars and sounds neutral to a bit warm compared to what you will find in the market at $500. Hd800 I wouldn’t bother with unless you are going to jump down the tube rabbit hole, it really isn’t impressive till then.

2 Likes

welcome to HFG, imbiber!

I’m sorry to report that $500.00 really isn’t enough budget to get end any end game DAC or Amp. they should each cost about as much as the headphones you’re going to use on them, though there are exceptions, especially if you’re not averse to buying used where there can be some excellent savings to be had.

a couple questions that still need answers are:

• where are you located?
  • what are your sources…as in, LP, CD, Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and then are you using a Windows or Mac computer and / or an Android / iPad?
  • how flexible is your budget and are you willing to buy used?

Hm, the schiit stack should drive your HP selection reasonably well, haven’t heard the dx3 personally but from what I read I can’t imagine it drive those current hungry planars well and i won’t mention my personal distain for the cheapish chifi sound in that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The schiit stack would be a bit warmer sound and the El amp stack Entro mentioned would be more neutral
For an all-in-one system the hifiman ef400 would also sound wise be a good solution with a butt load of power but not much feature wise

2 Likes

my name is Marzipan and I approve this EF400 recommendation!

edit - I forgot about the EF400 and it would be an example of an exception to the rule.

1 Like

@winebox Welcome to the forum…This is a really great community and has a lot of knowledgeable people who will help lead you in the right direction.

If you decide to go with the Asgard 3, you can save a little bit by trying to find one with the multibit dac module already with it. They come up for sale here and there for between $200-$240, but make sure it is the multibit module…I have no complaints about the Asgard at all…It is a nice starting point until you save up to move on to a better amp.

A JDS Labs Atom+ stack, El Amp/El Dac stack or Element III all-in-one will work just fine for the Aryas and LCD-X’s.

If you choose the Atom+ stack, you’ll have around another $300 to spend on headphones, too. Enough clean power, excellent build quality, impeccable customer service from JDS.

Spend your extra money first on headphones, not an amps, DACs or cables unless you want to do something like add a tube setup to an existing solid-state setup. You’ll get better bang for your buck.

Also considering upgrading your source, too. If you’re streaming Spotify or YouTube on those cans, consider upgrading to Qobuz or another high-res streaming service other than Tidal and its unnecessary snake oil MQA. Upgrading from Spotify 320 kbps to Qobuz and its high-res streams was a more noticeable improvement for me than any amp, DAC or cable change.

sub $500 DAC’s have minor sound differences, it’s mostly finding what features you want, amps make a bigger difference.
I’d argue against crazy money on a setup also, get your endgame headphones and then if you feel the urge to upgrade the chain later there’s the option :slight_smile:

get your cans first; as they will make the biggest difference. if i had a budget of say 5000, i’d spend at least 3000 of it on the cans. some cans with hp amps just have great synergy. for example Dan Clark uses a Schiit Jotunheim in his workshop…
its pointless making recommendations, but if you are seriously chasing your end game set up, good luck & go & audition before parting with your money.

2 Likes