Amp for passive 4 ohm speakers

Hi all,

Currently I have a very cheap soundbar hooked up to my television and a girlfriend who really doesn’t see the point in having more than that. My dad has a couple of speakers he is no longer using, so I figured maybe I can find a cheap solution to get those hooked up to the TV. The speakers have an impedance of 4 Ohm so most A/V receivers don’t like it. I was wondering if I can get something like a Topping MX3 and connect that via optical to my TV. Question is, how can I find out if the MX3 (or a similar product like the Loxjie A30) do well at 4 Ohm? I can’t really seem to find it and I don’t know anything about passive speakers.

Thanks

What brand and model are your speakers and what’s your budget?

Hmm the speakers are Philips ones. not sure about the model. They came with a cd/dvd player and a tube amplifier. Budget is as low as possible since my gf doesn’t want to upgrade at all :stuck_out_tongue:.

What does it say on them? Is there a sensitivity/SPL number given (it would be something like “91db”).

Ah I don’t know, they’re at my parents place. I just figured that since it’s always mentioned on AV receivers that amps like the mx3 would also have this mentioned in one way or another.

Being able to handle 4 ohms is not the problem. The problem is how efficient the speakers are - this dictates how much power you need - and therefore which amps would be appropriate for you.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks! Next time I’m there I will get the specifications and I will continue this thread, at least now I know a bit what to look for.

1 Like