Amp upgrade conundrum - Where to go from SP200?

I mean yeah that does fit the bill, I might be a tad concerned with iem usage but other than that, I don’t see an issue there

To tickle my curiosity I plugged in my Ear90 to the DA9, I had it set up for the stereo so I haven’t really listened to it with headphones since getting the SU-8. Decided to demo the LCD-2 CB on them since I don’t think I’ve ever used them on that combo since getting them.

I don’t know why but I’m somewhat floored. Maybe it’s just the time I’ve been away from the amp and DAC. Maybe more so the DA9 than the the Ear90. The DA9 has a soundstage that is completely different from the SU-8. The SU-8 is detailed, with good imaging but very narrow soundstage. Meanwhile the DA9 seems to take both stage and get some breathing room between all the details.

It feels kind of silly going through all this only to look back at what I had and realized it’s almost better in every possible way except noise floor and raw power. Granted there’s a certain ease of use and better access on the SP200 since all controls are up-front.

I also looked up the Violectric on Drop. Not going to buy it, even if it’s cheap(er). People are reporting getting the wrong color (grey instead of advertised black) and then there’s the question of warranty. Apparently previous batch owners are having issues with Drop not handling warranty outside of the initial return period. If I’m going to pay 1200 for an item and then potential 25% import fees, I might as well pay up the original 1400 from Thomann and get the unit in the color I want along side with proper warranty support. Also helps not having to wait half a year for shipping and getting random delays.

That being said, I think I’m just going to upgrade my Harmony Design Ear90 to an Ear 903 and the DA9 to a D90. The amount of money is going to be roughly the same any way I go.

1 Like

Should be pretty great. I will say though if you mean a topping d90, that really might not be that big of an upgrade from the su8, and will be moreso in the vein of the su8 than the harmony dac, so just something to note there

Yeah no it’s just that Harmony Design has the same designation haha. Harmony Design D90 is the DAC. It’s an upgraded model from the previous DA9.

Gotcha just wanted to check lol, that sounds like it will be a pretty sweet stack :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like