Ampsandsound Pendant Amplifier

I’ve only heard the verite on there and it was pretty fun, good match I would say if you wanted to make it a bit more warmer fun leaning, pretty impactful as well

3 Likes

If I purged the v200 ares ii and asgard 3 I’d probably have room on my desk for the taboo :thinking:

2 Likes

I got the pendant in last thursday, but haven’t tried the aeolus on it yet. When I get back home on monday, I’ll give it a listen and tell you what I think about the pairing.

2 Likes

Oh nice! That’d be awesome. Congrats on the purchase :beers:

I’ll give you my 2c, but the Aeolus is not my favorite headphone.
It sounds good, I still prefer the Aeolus off solid state to any of the tube amps I’ve tried it on, I’m in the minority on this and a lot of that is what I see as the flaws in the headphone are what others seem to like them.
To me the Aeolus is too smooth, transients are soft, timbre is generally lacking, the pendant is a relatively fast sounding valve amp, so it doesn’t round things out a lot more, it does give you an added warmth and midrange depth, improved staging etc.

Appreciate your input for sure. I’m realizing more and more the Aeolus is a bit polarizing which is cool. I’m preferring it on the BHC+SB to the Vio V200 but I need more time with it for sure.

Timbre sounds great to my ears with the Mullard tubes I have in the amp. When you say transients are soft are you commenting on the speed of the driver being a bit slow? Dynamics sounding a bit rounded off? My bad.

It’s an overall very smooth listen, it takes the edge off everything.
Drums sound less explosive than they should, distorted guitars lack some of the harsher “texture” they should have. Vocals are too smooth.

I mean it’s all opinion, I find the biodynamic ZMF’s just much better to my ears, and my Aeolus never really had a chance because I got them at the same time as the Eikons.

2 Likes

Okay right on, appreciate the clarification.

It is pretty laid back and smooth but I think that’s why I’m enjoying the listen so much haha. Preference like you said. A good companion for the LCD-2 PF for my tastes.

Do you think you’ll be selling the Aeolus to purchase an Auteur or something of the like? Or does the Aeolus have a place in your collection?

I’ll probably let my Aeolus go, I don’t use it much, I just hate selling things, and it is particularly pretty even by ZMF standards.
I have an Eikon and a Verite C, I don’t think I need another ZMF.
I recently picked up a D8000 pro, I’d like a Diana V2, but I don’t think I’ll be picking up another headphone next.

1 Like

Okay, so my impressions are with PSVane tubes. I think all the recommended pads are viable on the pendant, which I certainly wouldn’t have said about the Tuba, in which universe suede was a no go. The pendant provides enough warmth and impact to make any of them worth it depending on mood. So, yeah, if you like your aeolus, sounds great on here. Honestly, I don’t have anything that doesn’t sound good off of it atm, so it was a great purchase for me.

5 Likes

Right on, thanks. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the purchase so far.

Can anyone do me a favor and measure the size the base of the pendant? I’m super space limited and can’t find the physical size of the amp posted anywhere

12.5" wide by 9.5" deep
you will need minimum 6" clearance height to clear the tips of tubes. more likely 10-12" for airflow and the cables since they mount up top.

1 Like

Tyvm for the info. I was expecting bigger than that tbh, so thats good.

It’s about 2" wider and longer than a full ream of paper. It’s a good size but the footprint is more medium sized than large.

1 Like

This Saturday 9 am PT Premier. I hope you all enjoy and have a great rest of your week!

2 Likes