An amp for JBL 530

Honestly if you can stretch for it, I would really suggest going for an emotiva basx a100 if you are in the 200 range for budget, very good pairing. But outside that personally I would prefer the pa3 over the fosi, as imo I tried a very similar amp to that fosi and it really didn’t sound all that good tbh. I don’t have experience with the q5 black though, so I can’t say anything there

I personally ended up getting a used Parasound zAmp v3 for my JBL 530 desk setup for $120. But definitely look at something bigger if you have the space. The used market often has a lot of nice options for amps, but it’s definitely more risky. New though, I’d agree with MON on the BasX A100.

So you’re saying it would definitely be worth paying the extra cash for the emotiva basx a100and pairing it with the topping d10?

I would say so yes, you get much more bass body and warmth than the pa3, better spatial recreation, more accurate timbre, and also the basx feels more dynamic as well (perhaps similar surface level detail though). The d10 would be a good value for something clean slightly neutral brighter which works just fine with the basx

Okay, thanks for the help I really appreciate it!. I’ll go with that combo!

1 Like

530 v 500m? or even 600m?

So I should get the topping from Apos since amazon US won’t have it in stock unitl January and my 530s get here the 12th? Also, get the basx a100 from emotiva?

That would be solid

I would say that the 600m and 530 are on a similar level but going for different sonic goals. The nice thing about both speakers is that they have a generous sweet spot which is handy, but the 530 has a bigger sweet spot. The 600m are more room sensitive than the 530 are so the 530 is more forgiving in placement. Generally the rp600m can be too much at nearfield but great in a room, but the 530 are just fine in either a room or nearfield

The 600m has more bass quantity and can hit a bit harder, but I think the 530 has tighter and more linear bass that feels a bit higher quality but lacks the output of the 600m. The midrange on the 600m is sweetened up for sure, very full and rich, forward as well, but might not be the most resolving but is super enjoyable, the 530 has a more no nonsense midrange that is pretty competent and resolving but at times feels like it lacks emotion from time to time. In the treble, the 530 are pretty neutral and clean, resolving but not harsh, pretty pleasing, the 600m have more exaggerated treble and sparkle but it also isn’t that harsh either but is more forward.

Something to note though is that the 600m will generally make poor recordings more bearable where the 530 will reveal more of those flaws in poorly recorded music. Generally the 600m feels more like a fun warmer forward speaker where the 530 is more a no nonsense but enjoyable warmer smoother sounding speaker.

In terms of soundstage, I think the 530 has a larger stage, but the klipsch might actually offer more depth to it’s stage, generally though the 530 doesn’t feel that inaccurate in it’s placement in it’s wider stage either. In imaging, the klipsch might have sharper imaging. In terms of dynamics, the klipsch feel more dynamic to me, but the 530 isn’t lacking there either. In terms of timbre, I think the jbl has better bass and treble timbre, but the midrange on the klipsh sounds more organic to me. For speed and separation the jbl feels constantly quicker where the klipsch can feel a bit sluggish at times

Regarding amp pairings, I think the klipsch are more forgiving in this regard, and less demanding for sure, where the 530 can either be more handicapped by a bad amp, or preform on a higher level with a nicer amp, but the klipsch scale fairly well too

4 Likes

Damn that detailed response though. Can get the 530 w/ a100 for close to the same price as the 600m w/ Fosi. I am limited on space but I like my mids…

I currently use the Fiio Q1 Mark II to drive my Sennheiser HD58x. Would I be better off using that amp/dac or would the A100 and the D10 give a better sound for the HD58x?

So you could use your a100 to power the hd58x if you wanted too, it could give you a fair bit more punch and power, and a warmer tilting sound with a bit bigger stage

Does the 600ne ever go on sale?

Hey everyone I just snagged a pair of 530s and I’m loving them so far. I see here that the a100 seems to be the route for the ~$200 mark. Is this still the case? I’m currently rocking an Orb Audio Booster amp, class D with a bunch of inputs. Would the a100 be a worthwhile upgrade? Is there a new amp recommendations for the 530s?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017J6K598/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_68ZTAXFA6QXJVNF77VDP

Thanks!

I’m kinda in the same boat. I was using a pair of KEF Q150s before and the 530s were on sale direct from JBL for $270 with free return shipping so I couldn’t really turn it down lol. I’m using them in a larger room. So far they are working slightly better than the KEFs but they need some juice so I’m driving them with a Crown XLS 1002 fed by a Modi MB into a hybrid tube headphone amp as a pre. Tonally I’m pretty happy with but they just don’t have the soundstage or imaging that my Vanatoo T0s have despite sounding fuller. Anyone recommend a good amp under $1k that can give me a little better soundstage and imaging with at least 100w into 8ohms on tap?

1 Like