An amp for JBL 530

Hello, I am new to speakers and tried to be spontaneous by buying a pair of jbl 530’s since they are on sale.

I am trying to find a good way to power them whether it be with a amp or reciever or whatever. I have gone to a store and asked but they all tell me different things. I would prefer to spend around $300.

I was looking at this onkyo reciever but again no idea haha. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-tx-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6194119.p?skuId=6194119

I think I will have the speakers on my desk so if the amp is big I would put it in the closet.

Thanks!

Do you already have a dac, or would you need one of those as well?

It’s the legendary M0N replying to me!
I don’t have a DAC, mine stopped working.

Gotcha. For an all in one, it’s probably out of stock everywhere but the Denon pma600ne is pretty sweet for the price, sounds great, would be the most refined sounding imo

Something more compact for the desk might the emotiva basx a100, and you could buy a dac like a topping d10 or smsl 100, would be a strong, warmer, and punchy sound (but perhaps lack some detail and control)

Going even smaller and cheaper, you can get a pretty nice looking stack with the topping pa3 and topping d10, which would be clean and accurate (but might be a bit lean or lack body at times)

For something tiny, all in one, and will get the job done, the smsl sa300 does it all for a good price lol (somewhat similar sound as the pa3 and d10 combo but a bit less resolving)

Regarding the topping stuff, just be careful if you go that route as at the moment there are fakes floating around under the name of aimpire or something

6 Likes

Damn, that is an IMPRESSIVE recommendation list and spot on for the budget! You really never cease to amaze me @M0N :+1:

4 Likes

Ya these are fantastic recommendations! I saw you recommend the pma800ne to someone else, but thought there might be a couple more options.
I will probably go with the Denon or emotiva stack.
Thanks so much!

1 Like

The 800ne is pretty great as well, I just would assume it would be over budget, as you don’t want to go too crazy on it, I think the 600ne offers better bang for the buck

The emotiva amp is a very solid choice, I don’t think you will be disappointed :+1:

2 Likes

Oof im liking that Denon for a possible future upgrade for my 530s.

To the OP, my 530s are being powered with: PC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> Minidsp HD (mainly for low and high pass to speakers and sub, will be trying out room correction soon also) >> Emotive A100 >> JBL 530s. The Emotiva A100 is great IMO, but i cant lie, i have had the itch to try something new out, not for any particular reason though. The amp is great.

Don’t we all lol

1 Like

Constantly, for no apparent reason

You have lots and lots of options lol. Personally I would actually suggest in your case to get a great used preamp and power amp, for even more fun lol. You can experiment with different power amps and preamps, get a bit more in depth than an integrated

4 Likes

Yeah ive been looking around a bit, but truth is i just got a house, and am now paying for a wedding so my budget is rather tight at the moment, but i still look to torture myself.

Ah, you might want to hold off then, gotta figure out your priorities lol

1 Like

yep, what they dont teach you in school growing up, most of your most expensive life moments, and responsibilities, will all hit at the exact same time.

3 Likes

Hey @M0N so I think I’m gonna go with the denon 600ne but I was just wondering what the best way to connect my pc to it would be. Im sure the answer is obvious lol. The amp doesnt have usb and my pc doesnt have spdif or coax. I have seen that digital is typically better.

I thought if I use an analog connection like rca, it wouldnt use the built in dac.

Sorry for the audio 101 questions

Correct. You can get a USB to spdif/toslink converter (there are cheaper out there but I have had good experiences with this one)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8138XL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FcrAEbDFRC99E

1 Like

Awesome thank you. I wasn’t sure if it would actually work. I’m assuming that this would be the superior way to use this amp?

Imo yes, because you can take advantage of the dac inside there

1 Like

Thanks for answering all my questions! Just ordered both

Hey @M0N, I just ordred the JBL 530s during their cyber monday deal I’m looking for something in the $200 price range. Would I be better off going with the Fosi TDA7498E instead of the topping pa3 as an amp since it has 160wpc instead of 80wpc? Also would I be better off going with the topping d10 instead of the Fosi Q5 Black as a DAC? I’m going to be using them on a desk and audio is mainly going to be coming from my PC.