Any suggestions for a sound interface?

Hey there,

I am shopping for a new sound interface for around $200-$250.
Currently I got a Steinberg UR22 mk2 which served me well, but if used as a dac it’s sadly crackling and honestly driving me insane.

So what I need is a sound interface with a decent dac, XLR for my mic and 48V phantom power.
I’ve looked at the Motu M2, but sadly it’s pretty much sold out everywhere.
Right now it looks like I’ll probably go with something from Focusrite, a Scarlett Solo 3rd gen maybe, but I wanted to get some more opinions so I thought I’d ask here.

BTW, I’m in Europe, so there’s a chance that certain products will not be available here.

Thanks!

Honestly most interfaces at the moment have really tanked in availability, it’s pretty irritating. What mic/instrument are you planning to use and what sonic signature are you going for?

Yeah, it’s pretty annoying.
I use a Rode NT1-A as my microphone for voice chats and such. To be honest, I have no idea what sonic signature is, so I can’t answer that question.

So like would you want something that would give the rode a thicker tone with more body, or something that would accentuate it’s more light/airy/breathy signature? Also you planning to use this as a dac for an amp or drive headphones direct off it?

I am actually not that concerned about how the sound interface will make my voice sound like as I don’t sing or anything like that, so anything would be fine really.

I am using my current interface as a dac for my Emotiva Basx A-100, so I’d do the same thing with a new interface.

Gotcha. I think the audient id14 or id4 is pretty dang solid, it’s got a very nice dac/adc and preamp, warmer smoother tilting, and software is pretty reliable imo

Depending on the price, I think the ssl ssl2+ is pretty nice, pretty enjoyable sound with a signature that really tends to work well with most mics imo

The M2 is pretty sweet if you can find one but it seems like that’s not the case at the moment

1 Like

Alright, thank you for those suggestions, I’ll look into all of them and see if I can make a decision!

1 Like

Looks like I’m going for the iD4. Again, thank you for taking the time to help, really appreciate it!