Any way of modifying an older wireless subwoofer for working as a wired one?

Most Philips made/branded stuff is quite easy to repair or modify.
Will take a look when I find time.

Edit:

May be a lot easier than I thought :thinking:

:smiley:

Power supply:

Probably the radio board:

Just for the fun of DIY i would proceed.
On the other hand… soundbar subs (added bass in a box) are pretty terrible compared to proper subs.

So, as the service manual clearly states, the Powerboard gets Left and Right audio in through a 7-pin connector (together with some control voltages).
That connector is this one:

Pinout:

Leaves to figure out what state Standby (= STB) and Mute need to be in for it to operate :thinking:

Yeah that’s the obvious thing. But, yeah, it’s fun to mod stuff. And it’d probably be a lot cheaper and better than no sub.

guess 0 and 0. I would imagine if the standby was 1 it would go into standby to save power and mute 1 would just mute the sound, but being prepared to unmute immediately. At least, that’s what common sense would tell me.

I meant what voltage. 3.3V? 5V? 12V?

Oops. Well, I don’t know, maybe you can get that from the schematic for the radio board as that’s from where the other side of the cable to the 7-pin connector ends.

the radio board schematic

power board

1 Like

I would guess 3.3V, but without specs for “HMX6026E1”, hard to be certain.

Edit:
with the 4.7 to 1 voltage divider, almost anything is fine, so 5 V maybe?

Took some more picks. Don’t know if that could help.

The 7P connector up close

The other end of the cable, ending in the radio board. The other 3pin connector is just for the LED.

1 Like

No datasheets to be found online, yeah, a bummer.

1 Like

Any plan on how am I supposed to mod it then?

A few years ago I modified this sub, If memory serves, that’s how it worked.
It has a pretty powerful amp delivering around 120 watts to the speaker and working in the 30-120 Hz range.

1 Like

I’m trying to do exactly this same thing to a Klipsch ICON unit. Being an absolute noob and 57 years old I struggle with understanding both the systems and the abbreviations on these ICs. :slightly_smiling_face: Can an interested party clue me in to which of these pins carry the audio signal and what to do with the other ones?

What does it say above the header?

As for what the header does, good question.
annotation

This is a 90 degree shot. This connector is on what I think is the actual amplifier board. It (the board) is connected to the power component by two other cables. One appears to send power to the amplifier circuitry and maybe some two-way communication

The amplifier does not seem very robust. I think the digital circuitry ends with the output from the wireless board but maybe y’all know the module by looking at it…

1 Like

In the context of the other boards shown, the header labeled MDO2 appears to be purely Power and control for the Powersupply.

The board being held at a 90° angle from the panel is probably the amplifier and control board.

That was my assumption as well since the wireless card plugged into that assumed amp card via the 7-pin plug. Just don’t know how to suss out the proper inputs to the amp to feed the analog signal to.