Anybody else wish Spotify would just get flacc?

I had read this article a few times and never checked the publish date. That’s a real bummer, maybe they’ll surprise us. It’s not like the market is non-existent with other streaming services using lossless as the major selling point, but for sure probably not the biggest demographic. If spotify does implement lossless effectively I don’t see how the other services could compete.

That could be a danger. Having multiple streaming services is good for the market, in theory. But yeah, it’s a cost/benefit thing. Spotify may have to invest in their storage and bandwidth infrastructure which may be just too big of an investment for not enough return in their eyes.

3 Likes

Certainly not advocating for monopoly. But i feel that spotify outclasses the other services in every other aspect other than stream quality. The selection is way bigger, the mixing algorithm and playlist generation is way better and the interface is the cleanest and easiest. Admittedly I have not used the others on my phone + PC but this works pretty flawlessly on spotify switching between devices. To me it just seems that if spotify chooses to and successfully offers lossless for a reasonable price it’s a pretty massive uphill battle for the other services.

This is the other option. If Qobuz just rebrands and cleans up their look then it’s over.

Just hire some Bay Area coders and it’s over.

1 Like

why can’t we have hifi spotify… i prefer its UI… it doesn’t have a specific genre bias and forced audio codec unlike tidal (using WAV for everything that isn’t MQA is weird)… and it has a student discount unlike qobuz

2 Likes

Not to mention SpotiHiFy would be a great name :smile:

I must credit you. “Hifi Spotify” made me think of that.

3 Likes

I think spotify is just trying to be profitable at this point lol.

but it feels weird to move to tidal for reasons like how it used to be a meme and the fact that i have no way of hearing MQA (my laptop can only do 16/44.1 and i got no money for a dac)

Go Qobuz lol. Nevermind, save for a dac then go Qobuz.

its a lot more expensive since i am paying for spotify with a 5 bucks… student discounts are amazing… and qobuz doesn’t have one… plus dont care about its amount of classical music

1 Like

Then keep what you have, save, buy a dac and then start ripping cds on the cheap.

but then why would i need one when the DAC is capable of doing CD sound fine… sure i dont hear a difference but why bother with another one if i dont use the features (thats basically one of the only reasons to use a DAC… you need features)

logic is weird because i just want to feel the best

If you’re ever going to upgrade your amp and headphones you should eventually upgrade your dac. But if you’re happy with what you have then enjoy!

i dont have an amp (using laptop headphone jack)… maybe i might find problems when my 58X comes here tomorrow but i just often dont hear a difference with things

You will if you tried different amps.

Spotify only started turning a profit early last February, after 13 years.

They know they have so many users and almost none actually care about their audio quality, either listening through AirPods or in ears that come with their phone.

It wouldn’t make sense for them to move to lossless, there wouldn’t be a benefit for them and it would cost too much and take too much time.

1 Like

I’m still hoping when they maintain steady income and get company to positive cash flow, they might try again the hifi edition.
Moving small portion of listener to Hifi versio would bring more money vs. normal use but the added solid costs to run hifi versio will bring more costs, total income not so profitable.

They have the tech, software and knowledge (demoversio was).
So they care…or try to provide same or better quality than competition but the money is the issue.

I just signed up for the Amazon HD service. Seems reasonable for $12.99 / month. I believe they have a student version for $4.99, but I could be wrong about that.

Have you guys seen / tried this:

I’m still not convinced it makes much difference for me, but maybe I just haven’t trained my ears properly yet.

1 Like

Same. I’ve done the tests a multiple times and I just can’t hear a difference. Probably will get some hate for this but I personally think it’s a waist of money to pay for these hifi streaming services. I personally go for the one with the most amount of music or go for what you can get for free.

3 Likes

You make a valid point, if you cant hear a difference. The higher quality gear you have, the more noticeable the difference is.Some of my equipment I really don’t hear anything, some though there is a clear difference.