Anyone know about the Denon POA-800 power amp?

I just bought this off eBay today for £130 less shipping. Anyone know about this or what to expect? Here’s a pic: https://www.audio-high-store.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Denon-POA-800.jpg. It’s basically really old (apparently was in production between 1986 to 1991), and it’s 50W x 2 into 8 ohms / 90W x 2 into 4 ohms. More detailed specs here:

For those curious why I bought it: Basically I am using a pair of KEF Q100 speakers powered by Onkyo A-9155 integrated amp. However, due to space constraints on my desk, I shoved the amp under my desk (on top of a small dresser). I put the volume of the Onkyo as loud as I’d ever need to go, and control volume using my Schiit Asgard 3. I decided to buy a power amp to get around having 2 volume controls in my signal chain, and also because my Onkyo is quite beat up physically and not fully functional (the line out isn’t even working, for example). Plus, I only need one input since my source is a Topping E30 DAC. I also didn’t want to spend more than £100+ since I only paid £130 for my speakers (used), and it makes little sense to spend much more on the amp. As long as the new amp doesn’t break and sounds good enough, it’s my intention to keep this desk set up for a really long time.

Edit: It’s not my pic, just a random one I found off Google.

I can’t speak directly for the POA-800, but do own the POA-1500 & PRA-1500. I use the combo with my Polk SDA-2’s. Picked up the whole set, including a pair of Polk Monitor Series 10’s, for about $250 off craigslist’s 10 years ago (pretty sweet deal I think). I personally love the sound and quality of the 1500’s and would think you would get similar quality with the 800. The weight of POA-1500 could break your back moving it if your not careful :slight_smile:.

I just googled the POA-1500 - wow it looks amazing! If I were buying it, I’d gladly find ways to display it proudly rather than shove if under my desk.

From my cursory search, it seems the POA-1500 is older than the POA-800 and was a more premium model. While I can’t find MSRP for the POA-800, I suspect it is more of a budget entry. In fact most of the POA models that I find on eBay are selling for over £1000… Either way, I hope I find my new amp great the same way you find your POA-1500 great.

Thanks for replying and sharing!

Yeah, the 1500 is rated higher and was probably a more premium product. However I also own a Denon AVR that I love and so can speak to their quality of products in a general sense. There are always some bad ones in the bunch though. I hope this is not one of them and it treats you well. I would be interested to hear thoughts when it arrives.

Sure! I may not write a “review” immediately but I’ll try to share what I think of it.

@Multibeast Just got it, here are some initial impressions. Not sure if placebo effect, so do take that into account.

It sounds less “congested” than my Onkyo A-9155 integrated amp, like there seems to he more instrument separation. It feels like the instruments don’t blend into each other as much. Things thus sound clearer. Also, the sound produced sounds more “effortless” if that makes sense. I’m assuming it’s because it’s more powerful.

Still need more time, will likely report back after some time.

Edit: Added video. This amp has been kept so well. I barely see scratches. You wouldn’t expect to this be a 30 year old amp.

That thing looks almost new! Actually has some similarities to the pra-1500 (even though that is just a preamp). Happy to hear its treating you well so far. Nothing wrong with a little placebo affect either.

Further updates on how it performs:

I think I can now say without a doubt that this power amp is the best speaker amplifier I have owned (comparing to Denon UPA-F88 mini amp and Onkyo A-9155 integrated amp). The POA-800 sounds clear without really colouring the sound, and instruments sound well separated compared to my older amps. In addition, the sound is always well-controlled and dynamic.

In essence, I can notice sound is delivered effortlessly and there isn’t that “congested” sound I perceived in my older amps. I wish I could say more but I’m not very good at describing amplifier sounds!

1 Like