Anyone tried the McIntosh MHA50

has anyone tried this portable DAC/AMP from Mcintosh? If so, how does it compare to newer DAC/AMPs such as the Fiio Q5s or the ifi xDSD.

As it is 2 or 3 times more than these offerings, I’m sure it’ll sound better. It is worth the price of a Mojo+Poly?

I wasn’t really impressed and it was all right. Personally I would much rather take the ifi xdsd or fiio q5s with a nice amp module. The mojo would also be better then it imo. It wasn’t even a price thing, it just didn’t really impress me.

fair enough, was it not as clear as you thought? not as smooth? £800 is hefty for a portable DAC/AMP so I wasn’t expecting the purchase anytime soon. I reckon I am looking for a portable DAC/AMP that’s good enough to use as a desktop amp as well seeing as I am a student as I travel with a laptop a lot.
If I cant get something satisfying enough for the next few years then ill get the ifi xDSD and save up for a nicer tube desktop amp.

The ifi idsd micro black label is a desktop replacement grade portable.

I thought the mha50 was too light on power and that was the main issue for me. It just felt lacking

May I have your thoughts on the xDSD vs micro black label and why?

The micro black label can power anything with 4 wpc on tap, has a great dac, great bass boost and 3d+ for a super enjoyable unit. The xDSD is more tame and can power most things, and is a bit more refined of a sound signature. Also more portable

1 Like