Apple and Amazon to offer HiFi/Lossless music to their base service at no extra charge

I don’t understand why 3D/Atmos has anything to do with music play back… that shit is cool with cinema and home entertainment systems but nowt to do with how I listen to my music library :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Oh I totally agree. It is a marking ploy at the end of the day. I never use any of that kinda weird stuff.

Yep my idsd Micro has a “3d” toggle…used it once and…

1 Like

Haha! You and me both!

1 Like

Instant disable for me lol it sucks that Dolby is Apple’s main marketing push (probably because it supports all of their wireless lineup).

I don’t want to as their library is on point for me…if this 3d wacko shit continues with no opt out option then yes i’m out 🥲

1 Like

My understanding is Atmos recordings are mastered specifically for 3D, so you’d need to find a different recording, you can’t just disable it.

1 Like

They are not selling their shit to us, it’s not for us, we’re not the main demo, and we’re the likely to not purchase their products. This is had to be done marketing on Apple’s part and audiophiles benefiting is an unintended by product.

2 Likes

coming to the realization “spatial audio” has unintended consequence. Now pondering if its called for to timber match all the surround speakers.

Any caveats to using that apple dongle with the ifi hip dac? I’ve read one review on Amazon stating there were some power consumption issues (see below).

Dongle that I think you’re using: https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-USB-Camera-Adapter/dp/B014VGHG0U/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=lightning+to+usb+a&qid=1624484938&sr=8-4

Considering it said that the power draw issue only manifested after a few months of use, I can say right now its working flawlessly. Last night I was going through a bunch of Lossless tracks by Nine Inch Nails, Run the Jewels and Korn using my Argons, no issues.

Should we have a apple music thread?

First - great username. Truly worthy of critical listening, proper imaging, timbre and soundstage.

Maybe we should have an Apple Music thread. My topic - as a windows user with plenty of horsepower in a DAC - why am I left wanting :frowning:

My Mac has all the settings I could possibly want for lossless - but not the machine I spend 10 hours a day chained to!

Apples walled garden. Still no word if apple lossless is bit perfect. Although the atmos sounds good, if its an indicator of things to come. were golden.

Kraftwerk 3-D catalog in apple music atmos spatial audio, either it just got added or i swiped passed . The whole album is on there. I might be awhile.

I’ve really been enjoying atmos on the HT (both the Sonos 5.1 and the slightly more expensive 7.2 setup upstairs)!

I’ve had the itch to upgrade my speakers on the larger system b/c I just haven’t done a lot of music listening. Warfedale Evo 2-10’s have a 3” soft dome mid that covers the human vocal range - and is amazing for music - but kind of sleepy for movies. Since Atmos - I’ve done a lot more listening up there and it’s really, really fun! Reminds me why I fell for those speakers in the first place.

Still mad about no windows support for lossless tho :wink:

1 Like

What are some good heaphones for ATMOS itunes ? Think im finally committed to piecing together a headphone rig. Come to think of it what would be a decent heaphone setup for itunes spatial audio through apple tv ? I know dick about headphones, like to keep it around $300-$1000.

As an Amazon prime member I received a 4 month free trial on their HD Music service. Sure there appears to be some growing pains with the driver implementation regarding automatic switching of my outboard dacs sampling rate but that could be something I’m doing wrong… Computers aren’t my specialty, to say the least… LoL
I tossed my $20 Tidal subscription aside for this Amazon subscription mainly because of the price difference and secondly because I dont want MQA in my life.
The music catalog is pretty vast on Amazon HD and likely to get much better in time…
I get to explore lots of 44.1/ 16, 24/48, 24/96, and 24/192 content without having MQA forced down my throat… I’m not sure if it has DSD ? I don’t think so yet anyway…

1 Like

I had that, and I usually worry about forgetting to cancel free trials and then find out unexpected expenses on my bill, so I cancelled subscription the day I activated it, without realising Amazon wouldn’t give me the entire four months, unlike other trials they had in the past. I dunno if it’s this or sth else I did, but I only had it for about a week or so lol

Well, I’ve had a Prime membership for years now so I don’t have to worry about canceling the HD Music subscription. $9.99 is half the cost of my previous Tidal subscription and I can live with that.