Are audioquest nighthawks top tier or am I going crazy?

Unless the mastering is shit lol, nothing can really save that

5 Likes

I’m so confused by this. This is a nice place unlike a lot of other forums and discord servers. Let’s uh, stick to the rule we learned as children? If you don’t have something nice(Constructive) to say, just listen.

9 Likes

Hell yeah man, glad you are enjoying the nighthawks. I recently got a new amp/dac and it made the nighthawks sounds miles better than before and I’ve been having tons of fun with them.

Yeah this is true. I have some FLAC tracks I use with Foobar but most of the time I just listen to “Very High” streaming quality with Spotify. I really can’t tell the difference in quality between the two unless the mastering is just bad or if I am focusing 100% trying to find a difference.

7 Likes

Nighthawks were originally priced much higher than what they were months ago so it makes sense that they shot above the $250 price range. I feel as though most headphones especially for those who love to try a lot don’t give respective headphones enough time not to burn in but truly try to enjoy them by finding what sounds good on them rather than trying to see if the headphone sounds good. Cause when a headphone and music pairs well it really fucking hits. Even my much hated m570s with all it’s problems had 2 songs that sounded pretty damn good on it those 2 songs in my library wasn’t enough to justify the price I paid for it. But iffel like for most people Nighthawks are just the flavour of especial where they find those specific tracks that just got and earn a spot in the collection. It’s one of the headphones that really kinda have to prove themselves. And it’s honestly a headphone I’m always happy to see in collections. As a collector of interests the more I do research and learn about particular topics the more I look at collections the more I can tell about a person’s character or tastes. sneakers,watches, jewelry collections tell me a lot about a person’s experience, general collections like statues stamps t ells me a lot about the Media they consume age and character. Headphones and audio can tell you a lot about age , music tastes,how new they are to the hobby cause it’s one of the more uniquely personal hobbies. And a person with a highthawk in the collection especially the originals tell you a lot about tastes and if you releate it to the rest of the collection it can be very especial. Not that I own one or really intend to own one any of these days or ever really reccomend it but it’s such. Special can for many and it’s not really a headphone the is many peoples favorites but it’s very fondly spoken of for those that like it.

3 Likes

the real question is why buy expensive stuff if its just .ogg files

For me with the Hawks its more about “I want to remember.” They have that uncanny valley of presenting like speakers, and for me that’s addictive. They remind me of my Dads JBLs in the house jamming to some Floyd or rock in general and getting lost in the music. Its the journey aspect for me. Reminds me of how I started. I think how music is presented is just as important as the music collection itself because of my personal experience. :smiley:

Edit: mind you my default is more analytical in the day to day with my 95x, I’m not bound to the Hawks in that way, its just a reminder if that makes sense LOL… a damn good reminder :smiley: :metal: :smiley:

2 Likes

The Nighthawk seems to be a marmite headphone (marmite is a yeast extract product here which people either adore or hate), if you like the Nighthawk you really like it, if not then people tend to really not like it. To me the question about headphones isn’t whether they’re high end but whether you like them and whether they facilitate enjoyment of music. On MP3 and lossless, I have to really listen with the intention of identifying differences and it is very hard work. If just listening to music I don’t think it makes any difference.

1 Like

:heartbeat: …it

yeah not a fan but then again i heard peanut butter is looked at the same way by many countries as well and dont get our joy around it. and is not a univerally loved condiment like we think.

and Marmite is awesome :+1:

none for me thanks. I have a fairly developed pallate for many things being south east asian and hanging out in a multi cultural community… marmite is a bit… much

Add a bit to taste to the Satay dip :+1:

You know that actually doesn’t sound that bad

1 Like

I think marmite is a perfect example of the Nighthawk headphones, thank you Brad :smirk_cat:

1 Like

AudioQuest Vegemite

2 Likes

Buying bread from a man named Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscle
I said, “Do you speak-a my language?”
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said

“Have you heard the Audioquest Nighthawks?”

3 Likes

Wanted to give an update because I saw some discussion on Helios. And damn. Those Helios got real close and in some case were slightly better, and slightly worse. For get renai (one of my favorite songs if you couldn’t tell) I slightly could tell that they were brighter and sharper, but disruptive for me. I reeeeally hate sharp and bright sounds and get nauseous listening to them ( I never go to parties or even theaters because of this ), though I could understand why people like this. And while listening to the doors break on through, the cymbals and snare sounded my more smooth and clean. I did enjoy the imaging on the other songs compared to the nighthawks though. In the end, Helios good but not for me.

5 Likes