Are gaming dac/amps really worth it?

So I have the option to go for Asgard 3 + multibit dac for my dt 1990 pros. I wanted to know if the g6 sound blaster or other gaming dac/amps like the gsx 1000 are better choices for gaming? ( I only use my headsets for gaming and movies)

Kind of just depends… the 1000 is trash so I’d highly recommend you skip that. However something like g6 works fine it’s just sound quality wise it’s very poor and spatial recreation isn’t that great… its really just good for those on a heavy budget… asgard is much better but you will find better performance using asgard more in casual games and music than you will in fps

Oh, yeah I’m literally mixed with everything in regards to gaming. I play both casual and competitive but I don’t really listen to music. I still want to appreciate sound though, I’ve had the Arctic pro wireless and honestly it didn’t impress me with what I paid for them.

What do you think is the best option for both casual and competitive gaming?

Asgard is a fantastic amp and you really don’t need more than that for gaming honestly… as for headphones depends what would you be looking for in sound?

I’m not sure, I think that’s about it. I chose the dt 1990 because I read your headset suggestions, and I think you mentioned that the dt 1990 are pretty much unbeatable for gaming? I only really play games mainly but I still value sound quality over positional audio, I would love for things to sound amazing.

Competitive wise there are alternatives… casual gaming wise there are better options as all headphones sound different…like for example if you wanted bass or a more balanced signature

1990 do sound great but they are very aggressive… if you never tried a beyer I’d recommend checking the 880 or 990 first just to make sure something like 1990 is a good fit

I think this is a good idea. I will try 990 before I decide on this. Also I’m not sure what you quite mean by casual gaming? Is that like single player games? If so sound quality is still the most important thing for me, I want my headsets to be “good/great” for positional audio, but “phenomenal” for sound quality. If you get what I mean.

Casual games… yes like single players or those that aren’t fps competitive of sorts where sound placement is high requirement

I can recommend quite a few but in the long run we all hear stuff different so I’d say. Check beyers first… see if the treble is too much, maybe you prefer mids, more or less bass, etc. Go from there. Theres plenty with good positional but most of the early on budget really good positional audio headphones are in beyerdynamic or sennheiser… large staging and very accurate imaging with lots of detail retrieval is beyers specialty… 880 for neutral bright mid centric, 990 for v shape, tygr for treble intolerance, 1990 for pure versatility and the best of like everything, t1.2 for more relaxed sound with a more mid centric tonality and the biggest stage of the beyers

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the advice. A question about dac/amps, is it better to go for the Asgard 3 with the multibit dac module or shall I get a dac separately?

The multibit is nice and convenient. Nice impact good clean sound but it does make the asgard lose a little headroom… personally I think a dedicated dac is better

Oh right, which one do you recommend?